• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton axle bearings and seals part# x-reference?

tobyS

rear axle

I'm bringing this up because I plan on replacing the rear bearings and seals on my M817. I've read the TM, this thread several times and several others.

I see that the bearings are lubricated with grease and the axle oil is prevented from getting to the bearing by the inner seal. Also I've seen talk of alternative seals than OEM...but have a hard time understanding the part number references, if they are the OEM (old style or new).

Has there been updates to these seals? I've already got Timken 596, 593 and cup 592a coming and want the seals that last, while OEM seem to have wear problems. Please help to clarify which seals to get?

Last edited:

TGUNN

HELLO JAKELC15, i discovered your post referring to a speedi-sleeve 99212 for repairing grooved axles, and wanted to know if this in fact would fit an m939a2 rear axle shaft wear the ctis seals ride, my axles suffered wear grooves from my CTIS seals and are now leaking because of this. hoping for some good news thanx

74M35A2

I'm bringing this up because I plan on replacing the rear bearings and seals on my M817. I've read the TM, this thread several times and several others.

I see that the bearings are lubricated with grease and the axle oil is prevented from getting to the bearing by the inner seal. Also I've seen talk of alternative seals than OEM...but have a hard time understanding the part number references, if they are the OEM (old style or new).

Has there been updates to these seals? I've already got Timken 596, 593 and cup 592a coming and want the seals that last, while OEM seem to have wear problems. Please help to clarify which seals to get?
Love dead thread revivals, but just for clarity, it is the outer seal that keeps the axle oil out of the hub cavity. M939a2 does not have outer seal on rear hubs, outer bearing is oil lube. Inner is grease.

tobyS

Love dead thread revivals, but just for clarity, it is the outer seal that keeps the axle oil out of the hub cavity. M939a2 does not have outer seal on rear hubs, outer bearing is oil lube. Inner is grease.
Yep...

Murphy's law...bought the bearings and seals then sold the truck.

The real problem turned out to be the transfer case.

I have a full rear set, bearings and seals, in classified.

Last edited: