• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton detroit locker

rwelker

Does anyone know how to identify whether an axle has the lockers in them by the numbers on the axle ID plate? My truck was bought by the govt as a M810 and then the water distributor was installed later. It only has the M810 plate on it. Thanks, Rick

Cdub

The way I knew it had lockers in the rear is by the warning plate on the inside of the drivers door and the way the rear feels when I make a sharp turn, other then the ISO bed and fording kit as well as it being a Marine truck.

C'dub

D'cheat

Jack up one tire off the ground and give it a turn. If it turns freely, then you don't have a locker. If it moves a little bit then stops suddenly, then the locker has just clicked on. It seems than other than that, the only way is by the tag in the cab of the truck.

spicergear

Detroits are neat! When the power input is coming into the differential via the driveshaft, the Detroit is locked. When the power input is coming into the differential via the AXLEshaft, it will unlock. If you go into an intersection then lift and turn it should unlock and help the turn go easier. If you jack up a tire you should be able to give it a snap and the Detroit will open then you should be able to here it just click as you spin the tire. I have a pair in my Rocks' under my big M715.

DMgunn

Re: RE: 5 ton detroit locker

D'cheat said:
Jack up one tire off the ground and give it a turn. If it turns freely, then you don't have a locker. If it moves a little bit then stops suddenly, then the locker has just clicked on. It seems than other than that, the only way is by the tag in the cab of the truck.
That won't work on a tandem-axled truck. Even if the diff is open, it will not turn very freely, since the axle connected to it has both tires on the ground. You would need to remove the inter-axle driveshaft also to know for sure.

emr

RE: Re: RE: 5 ton detroit locker

I dont know, but when i drive my Nephews 813 with lockers it is obvious they are there, they dig, my other 2, 5 tons just turn so smooth.for a 5 ton that is. Randy

D'cheat

That won't work on a tandem-axled truck. Even if the diff is open, it will not turn very freely, since the axle connected to it has both tires on the ground. You would need to remove the inter-axle driveshaft also to know for sure.

I dont see why not. Try the same thing to a 4x4 in park, and the one lifted tire will still turn. This is the point of spider gears. My experance has only been with detroit locked dana 60's and 14 bolt truck axles, not a tandem axle 5 tonner. So, I may well be missing the mark here.

DMgunn

D'cheat said:
I dont see why not. Try the same thing to a 4x4 in park, and the one lifted tire will still turn. This is the point of spider gears.
Only if it's a 10-bolt, where the cross-pin is usually so slopped out in the carrier that you can turn it 3/4 of a revolution before the slack is taken up. :roll:

Cdub

Re: RE: Re: RE: 5 ton detroit locker

emr said:
I dont know, but when i drive my Nephews 813 with lockers it is obvious they are there, they dig, my other 2, 5 tons just turn so smooth.for a 5 ton that is. Randy

oooh yea.........You definitely feel them for sure......!!!!.....the rear tires just feel like they're biting in.

C'dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks