• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton M52 Dump linkage modifications

pa.rich

The control box innards are worn and so the valve would work for the pistons, but the pto control shaft on the other side of the control box would not get enough movement to engage/disengage the pto. Another used t.o. control box costs 300. And could be just as worn, if not worse. I didnt like the engineering of the set up anyway, so I fabricated a direct shift lever next to the tranny shift. Works nice and more direct. Now the lever by the left side selects power up , nuetral and power down and the pto lever on the rite of the tranny shift engages and disengages pto only. Attached are some pics and I took out the seats and seat belts to get better access and to prep the inside of the cab for repainting.Notice the floor mounted pivot plate for the pto shift, has no bolt thru it to enable flex of body and rubber engine and tranny mounts. It can slide through the pivot. This pivot is under the seat and will be out of the way. I made the shift lever and mouted a red pto knob on the end. I have to adjust the hydraulic control lever on the left as it is too high for me. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Attachments

beaubeau

Hey PaRich,it looks good!Whatever works better is better!When parts get worn out and U can make UR own parts, it is good. There are Cables on the market that con be used instead of linkage, but Direct like U got is better. I have a Deuce which I shall make dump this summer. I have several old Dump trucks in yaed which I can use for parts. Good luck, Phil

pa.rich

It took all day, but didnt cost me anything! I had all the stuff lying around in the garage.I couldnt find new replacement iinards for the control box so I decided to keep it simple and direct. There is a rebuilt pto box and rebuilt hydraulic pump on the truck now. The warm weather really helped Saturday. Was 60 degrees, which feels real good up in the chilly north east. The only thing I have to change is the driveshaft- it is connected but should be 2 " longer to be correct. I havent test run it yet, cause I need to repalce the tranny oil and put in the hydraulic hoses and oil yet. :D I will keep praying everything works.!!!If it does the dump body goes on next.

Hey pa, my M51A2 W/W came the same way , valve worked fine with lever but would not engage the pto. disengagment work ok. I use my truck on site alot. i gave it a 2 hr try to fix and gave up for lack of time. i dont run a top on mine so i just use a long stick to engage the pto by reaching over the back of the cab. i know it should be fixed but it's not a prioity now. yours is a clever fix tho . i will use cable when i find time. you know your a redneck when there is a stick used for running a dumper.

Capt.Marion

Nice modification. Would shorten it though, It's like the M37 with the long stick, except your colliding with the shifter instead of the dash or the steering wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks