• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton M934 KTA19 600HP Cummins swap

RPMRPM

Hey guys based on all the comments on my previous post I picked up a M934 for my camper conversion. I have a customer I’ve build a few sled pulling motors for who asked if I’d be willing to take a KTA19 600 horse engine with engine brakes off him to knock a few grand off his bill since he didn’t need it and though I might want it for my truck, and I’m thinking if first that engine will fit under the hood of a 5 ton and second that Allison will hold up or if I need to put a RTOO in it I’ve also got a #10 and a #15(i think) fuel pressure button I may put in it with a bigger turbo possibly not sure I’d appreciate any input guys

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys based on all the comments on my previous post I picked up a M934 for my camper conversion. I have a customer I’ve build a few sled pulling motors for who asked if I’d be willing to take a KTA19 600 horse engine with engine brakes off him to knock a few grand off his bill since he didn’t need it and though I might want it for my truck, and I’m thinking if first that engine will fit under the hood of a 5 ton and second that Allison will hold up or if I need to put a RTOO in it I’ve also got a #10 and a #15(i think) fuel pressure button I may put in it with a bigger turbo possibly not sure I’d appreciate any input guys
You won't keep an axle input bearing, torque rod or u joint in it.. or a transfer case unless you go with a 55000 and even then your life span is limited.
Plus I don't think it'll fit and be able to have a radiator big enough to keep it cool. Actually I know it doesn't have the room.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember as a kid the first WHITE FREIGHTLINER POWERLINER I ever saw was in a truckstop with the huge new wide grilled cabover made to accommodate the KT 600 /3408 CAT/ OR V12 DETROIT in 73 or 74 then Peterbilt did it with their cabovers in 75 so if they can do it u can do it but its not gona b easy !

RPMRPM

You won't keep an axle input bearing, torque rod or u joint in it.. or a transfer case unless you go with a 55000 and even then your life span is limited.
Plus I don't think it'll fit and be able to have a radiator big enough to keep it cool. Actually I know it doesn't have the room.
if I found a M920 would it fit in there and would the driveline hold up if the driveling wouldn’t what kinda modifications would be required I just think that engine would be a ton of fun so I wanna drop it in something

Last edited:

RPMRPM

I remember as a kid the first WHITE FREIGHTLINER POWERLINER I ever saw was in a truckstop with the huge new wide grilled cabover made to accommodate the KT 600 /3408 CAT/ OR V12 DETROIT in 73 or 74 then Peterbilt did it with their cabovers in 75 so if they can do it u can do it but its not gona b easy !
Yeah the engine was actually a marine engine he wanted me to put in an old 74 dodge big horn for a pulling truck but he decided to sell the big horn and pick up a different project.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
if I found a M920 would it fit in there and would the driveline hold up if the driveling wouldn’t what kinda modifications would be required I just think that engine would be a ton of fun so I wanna drop it in something
Just go with an Oshkosh K2358. It's an air force Mx missile hauler. KTA600. 6 speed automatic. 6x6. With lockers. Sleeper included too. They can be found for around 12 to 15k.

The 920 you will need more hood space than it has allowed. Plus a transmission plus a transfer case and hope you don't snap a ring gear in the SSHDs

RPMRPM

If I found a M920 would it fit in there and would the driveline hold up? If not any idea what kinda modifications to the driveline I’d need
Just go with an Oshkosh K2358. It's an air force Mx missile hauler. KTA600. 6 speed automatic. 6x6. With lockers. Sleeper included too. They can be found for around 12 to 15k.

The 920 you will need more hood space than it has allowed. Plus a transmission plus a transfer case and hope you don't snap a ring gear in the SSHDs
awesome I really appreciate all the help this is why I always hop on here to ask questions I know what to pickup now thanks I’ll keep everyone updated on the camper conversion once I find one

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If I found a M920 would it fit in there and would the driveline hold up? If not any idea what kinda modifications to the driveline I’d need

awesome I really appreciate all the help this is why I always hop on here to ask questions I know what to pickup now thanks I’ll keep everyone updated on the camper conversion once I find one
@South check with him. I think he knows of a Oshkosh near him.

Worst case he has a complete 920 that needs an engine for sale.

RPMRPM

@South check with him. I think he knows of a Oshkosh near him.

Worst case he has a complete 920 that needs an engine for sale.
You know if it would be possible to stretch the hood on the M920 so I could fit the KTA Im getting from my client in it and take the drive line in the K2358 since I really hate the look of cab overs personally and put it behind the KTA in the 920 if I just bought both of em?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You know if it would be possible to stretch the hood on the M920 so I could fit the KTA Im getting from my client in it and take the drive line in the K2358 since I really hate the look of cab overs personally and put it behind the KTA in the 920 if I just bought both of em?
The hoods on the 915 series trucks are a pain in the rear. You would have to stretch the hood and fenders since they are different components. I can measure it since I've got a few 916 920s laying around and a KTA600. its probably possible with firewall revamping probably. Or scoot the cab back and connect it to the front end

RPMRPM

The hoods on the 915 series trucks are a pain in the rear. You would have to stretch the hood and fenders since they are different components. I can measure it since I've got a few 916 920s laying around and a KTA600. its probably possible with firewall revamping probably. Or scoot the cab back and connect it to the front end
Awesome thanks when you get some free time I’d appreciate. that your help means a lot man

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks