• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton used as fire truck

Greenwood1

So many say that making a 5 ton into a tanker is so dangerous and increases the chance of rollover, and you are modifying it from its original purpose. I thought these trucks were designed to haul heavy loads over uneven terrain. With the use of a good tank set low and properly baffled, I don't see how that is so much more dangerous than hauling cargo in the bed. Yep you can roll it over just like so many other trucks. The driver being properly trained and using common sense is what makes the truck safe or dangerous.

Greenwood1

Is this a truck you have experience with? If so do you know how many gallon the tank is, and what is it make of? If you have any more pics of the truck I would love to see them.

Greenwood1

You are exactly right about not every FD getting grants. We have tired numerous times in the past to get a grant. It took us several years on the FEPP list in our state to qualify to get the 5 ton. Most of the people posting about not using MV have never worked with a small department with a very limited budget. They don't know how hard it is to get equipment and work with what you have.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know all about it. However, I also know what the lawsuits cost. A neighboring dept I just had an apparatus rollover, and the lawyers are lining up, not to mention OSHA, PESH, and others.

Al Harvey

So many say that making a 5 ton into a tanker is so dangerous and increases the chance of rollover, and you are modifying it from its original purpose. I thought these trucks were designed to haul heavy loads over uneven terrain. With the use of a good tank set low and properly baffled, I don't see how that is so much more dangerous than hauling cargo in the bed. Yep you can roll it over just like so many other trucks. The driver being properly trained and using common sense is what makes the truck safe or dangerous.
First off WELCOME! Using a low setting and properly baffled tank will decrease your risk. When these trucks are converted to tankers, without using a baffled tank, the water will "slosh" and will dramatically increase the risk of rollovers in turns and off road. Also it will make it a lot harder to stop. The key is going to be doing it right with what you are able to get. Also make sure you have well trained drivers that practice, as you stated, empty first and then continue regular training with water in the tank so they learn the truck better. I know it is hard to get purpose designed equipment when your a small department and you have to make the best with what you have. Maintenance will be very important. What size tank are you looking at putting on it? Best of luck with your endeavor and hopefully you can get some funding to get a good quality tank for the truck.

acme66

Having worked with off-road forest fire tankers in the past they are all tippy, as is every other 4 and 6 wheel drive fire service equipment. If you fight forest fires you need a machine that can run in the forest...off road. You ever see a fully loaded road tanker stuck off road? The mess after you drain them? Pulling a cat off the line to retrieve them? Not having that water? People can die from that. Not that you couldn't get a a 5 ton stuck, and it might take more than one cat if you do but it will still be a darn sight better. Ask any cement truck driver who has EVER been told "just back across the grass" about how fast and how bad road trucks can be out of their element. The truck will be a fine, no frills machine for you. In my opinion it will be no worse and better in some ways other built machines. I would say keep it on 1400's or smaller (I say smaller) for sure but beyond that parts are cheap and I hope it meets the requirements of your department for many years to come.

Sometimes I forget the way so many of you feel the need to pounce on people with questions like this. Someone asks if a 5 ton will work on his farm and you launch into these huge condescending lectures about how poor their choices are or (and these are my favorite) how everyone is going to die...somehow. Just tell the man yes, it will be slow, tippy and sucks to drive and leave it at that. For this guy, I buy a 5 ton, pull the bed and source a used tank. You could have a durable serviceable machine for $12,000 or less. 12 grand will not buy you its equivalent in a roadworthy machine. He needs to know real stuff. What is it like to change a tire in the field, what is likely to break, how often and how expensive. He needs to know that backing this thing loaded up a steep hill in low range will trash the transfer case. He need to know 5 ton specific stuff, not lectures on tanks. Yes other things could be better but they are not on the table, this is. He knows tanks, he works with tanks. He knows or he will learn. You guys know more about what it is like to live with these trucks, fix these trucks and drive them. Just tell them, don't withhold unless you feel the idea worthy. Tell them and let the choices be made by those that have to make and live with them.

I think the truck will work well. I can think of a few things that might help the project work depending on your application. Message me privately if you want.
Ken

mcmullag

I found some more pics of a converted 2.5 ton. I think the state forest service builds these things at the University of CO at Ft. Collins. The custom water tank also fits down between the frame rails so you have water in the tank, between the frame rails.100_1593.jpg 100_1596.jpg 100_1594.jpg

350TacoZilla

another mod to help stability would be to convert it to A0 style dual 11.00r20's but that would also require doing away with the ctis, which might not be a bad thing given the reliability of it.

Greenwood1

another mod to help stability would be to convert it to A0 style dual 11.00r20's but that would also require doing away with the ctis, which might not be a bad thing given the reliability of it.
We are planning on getting rid of the ctis, and we have looked into changing the wheels out to a set of duals. Thinks for the info.

jdknech

We are planning on getting rid of the ctis, and we have looked into changing the wheels out to a set of duals. Thinks for the info.
you might also lool into 395/85/20 tires for it.. they are slightly shorter (more "grunt" for hauling weight, and less rollover chance) higher weight rating, and higher speed rating (65MPH the tires that are on it are maxed at 55MPH)
having had a 5ton with duals, and singles.. IF your going off road with it, the singles are better hands down.. (I know that will spark debate! lol) but that has been my personal experince. (both with a deuce, and a M939 5ton)

Just only permit your more experanced drivers to drive it.. the M939 trucks are rollover prone as it is.. but I say GO FOR IT! and we want PICS of before during and after building it.. as far as lighting.. there are QUALITY 24V LED lightbars available (I have one on mine) I just can't remember the brand right off hand.. (got it through the local emergency vehicle lighting supplier)

another option is adding a separate 12v system for everything, and leaving your stock system, well... stock.. I makes it 100 times easier to repair something down the road.. I'm pretty sure TMAmerica on here sells the brackits to add a 12v alternator to the engine

Good luck with the project!

insas

I bet you could fab a pretty good external roll bar for behind the cab and if you wanted to the front and rear of the bed area for next to nothing... Rollovers are, of course, a consideration, though these trucks WERE designed to carry heavy loads off road.... I've driven them plenty with 2x 600 gal tanks in the bed and 2 more on a trailer with no problems. (also quite a bit with 16 pallets of water double stacked in the bed, heavy equipment, etc...). That leads me to another point, I've seen lots of complaints that they can't haul "enough" water due to either GVWR or high center of gravity. If you're worried about it, why not just use a slightly smaller tank and pull a tank trailer. The 400 gal ones are cheap and plentiful, Or convert a 5-ton trailer. I don't know if either of those are available through the FEPP though.

Greenwood1

I wish we had the funds to build one that nice. I will provide pics as soon as the weather cooperates around here so we can work on it. It has been cold and snowing a lot this year. The roll bar is a great idea and would prove some protection.