• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton vs. deuce offroad

M1075

gimpyrobb said:
M1075,Is it common for the fire trucks to have duals on the front axle?!
No it is not common. I have seen it done when trucks are used in rocky areas and are prone to flats. Having a blowout on the front is not good when you are on the fireline! I have done it with a deuce and even a 1ton dodge 4x4 as an experiment.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The CCKW-352 (the short wheelbase truck) came with two "spare" tires specifically so that the front wheels could be dualed during extreme conditions. These trucks (CCKW-352) were intended as artillery prime movers, an application that required maximum tractive effort.

Regards,
David Doyle

TheBuggyman

BKubu said:
I don't have much experience off-road, but I will relate one story that occured a few years back (the last time the "Aberdeen" show was held at Churchville). For those that remember, it rained quite a bit and all of the trucks entering and leaving the show really churned up the fields. In spots, the mud was a foot or more deep. The show organizers called in a tri-axle dump with about 40 tons of crushed stone. The intention was to drop the stone in a few of the more serious mud holes. Anyway, as you would expect, that tri-axle made it about half way into the first field before it became mired. A couple of deuces tried to pull the truck out, but to no avail (not enough a** to 'em). Someone came and got me because I was told that I had "the biggest truck out here and the show organizers want some help." So, I fired the M813A1 up. My M813A1 was a former USMC truck with 1400 X 20 super singles and lockers. I drove over to the tri-axle as if the field were dry. I hooked up to the truck and proceeded to snap the chain because I tried to jerk the tri-axle out. The chain was no where near stout enough to handle that force. A friend suggested that I pull the dump at an angle in the front. This did the trick. I never laid off of the throttle and pulled that baby right out to the street. Sorry...I don't have any digital pics.

Given the fact that most deuces do not have lockers, I'd take a 5 ton with them over a deuce any day. Also, a truck with an automatic has an advantage, too.
Bruce,
Is this the truck I bought from AJ? Sounds like it from the fact that I have driven mine in some seriously deep doo-doo and it never even spun a tire! 8)

texas-5-ton

Thanks for the input. We decided to get the 5 ton mainly because of the power steering. And as mentioned earlier in this thead, fire departments are famous for overloading over their trucks. There are numerous firetrucks that are extremely overweight. Another main reason for the 5 ton was the 14 foot bed versus the 12 footer on the deuce. We wanted to go with 2 fuel pods instead of one and still have room for an occupant at the front and a pump at the back. Two would work on a deuce but then you dont have much room for the rest of your crap.

ida34

M1075 said:
David "Dr. Deuce" Doyle-

You never cease to amaze me! You have got to be the go-to man on all things duece.
I love your book David. I misplaced one then found it after I got another one. I now have two and my son likes it so much I plan to give him the extra. It was just the right balance between printed info and pictures.

ida34

BFR said:
ok who wants to be the first to try this? 8)
Check with the SS Member from KY who was on Junkyard Wars. He put tracks on a delivery van. I can't remember his name to save my life but the truck he made can be seen as his avatar.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Chuck,
Thanks for your kind words about my book....it was the first one I wrote, and every time I pick one up I find some nagging - but usually minor - detail wrong. I suspect that it is about to go out of print. I've suggested to Krause that it be revised - and done in primarily color (again, using vintage photos for the most part). So far, they don't seem too excited about this idea, but maybe this will change.

Thanks again,
David

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've run the Glamis dunes out in California easily in my M54A1 with Goodyear 14.00's down to around 10 PSI. No problem with any sensible hill, the engine makes peak torque at 1600 RPM and would just go on and on. No hopping with the tires soft.

A few quad and Jeep guys found out just how big it was while coming over the same hill I was climbing from the other side. My antenna flag just didn't prepare them.....

dg

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eddie,
No, the truck to which I was referring is not your exact truck...just the same model with the same USMC set up. Your truck actually is nicer than the one I had at that show. That particular truck had quite a bit of rust repair, but it was a great runner.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
His name is Jeff He lives in petersberg KY. He just finished putting a turbo on his deuce, now were looking for a knuckle boom crane.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, I haven't seen Jeff posting much. I'm assuming the brakes are done? How does it sound with the turbo? I love the deuce tipper he has!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Haven't been down recently to hear the turbo. We pm alot and he checks the site when he can. I'd love to have half the room he does for his toys. I'm sure he will chime in soon.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ida34 said:
BFR said:
ok who wants to be the first to try this? 8)
Check with the SS Member from KY who was on Junkyard Wars. He put tracks on a delivery van. I can't remember his name to save my life but the truck he made can be seen as his avatar.

Hey Chuck, I assume you are refering to me. The only help I can give is: I can tell you "how NOT to do it" :wink:

I posted some pics in another thread awhile back. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3712&highlight=tracks

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Gimpy, I haven't seen Jeff posting much. I'm assuming the brakes are done? How does it sound with the turbo? I love the deuce tipper he has!
Hey Kenny, the turbo isn't exactly all the way done yet, (I think gimpy is just being gracious) but I am making progress. Thanks again for providing some of the pieces. It is coming together nicely.

Re: brakes, I installed a new master cylinder and new air pak. Then did the garden sprayer bleed job. Man, I will say it again, that bleeder is slick. I did buy (but not install)6 wheel cylinder rebuild kits and 5 new brake hoses, but thinking they will have to wait for warm weather again.

My apologies for hijacking. Let's continue the 5 ton vs. deuce off road discussion.

jeli

I prefer a 5 ton for the power steering. The best setup I ever drove was an M930A2??? It was the dump series with CTIS. There's a lot of sand at Ft McCoy, WI. When properly aired down I could go anywhere a 113 could go and almost as fast. An automatic is far superior in sand. Auto vs manual is like someone described a sprague vs air shift Tcase. Much easier to control. I've actually done donuts with a 5 ton dump on hard packed snow before.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Jumping in here... Those 5 tons that came with lockers, we're they in both back axles or in just one???
Hi TomTill84 ,

This particular thread was last updated in 2006 so you may not get a lot of attention here with your question.

The 5-Ton vehicles like the M939 Series trucks that the Marine Corps use generally are specified with lockers in both read axles. Not a guaranteed thing in every instance - but most times if they were spec'd by marines - there were lockers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks