• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

54 M38A1 questions

Cowboy_Customs

Hi all! A buddy of mine has a 54 M38A1 with a Warn overdrive, how does it work? Only 2 wheel drive? or all ranges and 4 wheel? We are restoring it, just got the engine done and about ready to fire! This is my first experience with these old Jeeps it is sooo cool, all the little things that were thought about right down to the grease fittings on EVERYTHING, and the access panels to get to them!

Right now we have a total of 3, a 42, a 52 and a 54. The 42 I dont know anything about I havent really seen it, the 52 is about gone, but we picked it up for plowing and fun, 500 bucks and didnt have to do anything but a distributor cap to make it run! The 54 is a little unique, its got the Overdrive, and its a snorkel jeep as well, with everything but the snorkel! The 52 and 54 acctually came from Canada, but are stamped for the USMC out of Georgia, I cant remember the base now.

Anyway, I love the site, and will help out when I can, I am certainly not new to using forums, but new to the MV stuff. Hopefully we will be picking up a 5-ton later this week too!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello!

I am not sure about the overdrives in 2/4wd. Maybe this guy's site can help you, he sells the OD units now:

Overdrives

JeepMan

overdrive works in low and high 4 wheel in or out.
Look at all the gear choices you have !!!
I understand that the Marine Corps Jeeps have locking differentials in both axles. Thats why the Georgia tag. The conversion was done at a depot there.
Just had a chance to buy one but passed because it was too ratty for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks