• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th wheel hauler

okieammo

Sorry if im in the wrong category.
I have always wanted a m35a2. I want the multifuel capability. We are now looking into buying a 40ft 5th wheel that will come in about 15.5k gvwr. Can the deuce haul it? I am also interrested in options of modification that you feel would be beneficial to my use.

CrwM35A2

I'm sure the duece will haul that 5th wheel but your not going to go very fast with it. As far as upgrades I would say you would need the adapter to change the 24 volt system to 12 volt as I'm pretty sure the camper is wired for 12 volt. Not sure about anything else as I am just getting into MV's and will be picking up my first duece this week. I'm sure someone will chime in with more info than me soon but I would say you would be better off getting a 5 ton for pulling the 5th wheel if your going to be going long distances often.

red

Won't be fast but it will do it. Electronic brakes on the trailer or air?

11x20 tires, EGT gauge, bump up the fuel, muffler, remote brake fluid reservoir, seats.

rustystud

The only reason for using a deuce to haul a "fifth wheel" is if your going into the far boonies . Otherwise get yourself a good GMC or Chevy 1 ton dually with a Duramax and Allison transmission. My brother who retired 5 years ago has this combo and has driven his truck to every state now except Alaska and Hawaii. I don't think he is planning on driving to Hawaii either ! ;) If you really want to do this there are plenty of pictures here of guys who have done this mod before.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are absolutely married to the idea of an MV I have a very nice M275 deuce tractor for sale. It will hold 60 on flat ground pulling an empty electronics van trailer.
It needs a good going over but was running when parked.
I also have a M927A2 5 ton that has a shorter bed with a 5th wheel behind it. Not cheap but it could be had. It will run 70 flat out and has all the amenities of the 900 series 5 tons.
PM if interested.

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None of the MVs mentioned so far are as comfortable or as efficient as a newer one ton dually pickup.

That said, I enjoy driving my MVs. But, I would have been hating life yesterday if I was driving my M35A2 up and down the 10% grade of Teton Pass towing my 28ft RV instead of my '99 F350.

Your milage may vary. Get what you want, just consider the positives and negatives of each vehicle.

Good luck!