• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5Ton ALT. DILEMMA!!(PICS)

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Maybe you 5ton owners can share your input on this...Purchased a rebuilt alternator from CME Armature (took forever) to replace the existing one that doesn't charge due to always running on dead batteries from the previous owners.

The NSN (2920-00-909-2483) and the Mil Spec # (MIL-G-46795E(AT)) are the same for both the old and new unit. The problem lies with the shape of the front face of the units case. They are not the same and I can't swap the aluminum fan and pulley from the old unit to the new one.

The old alt. case has a stepped front face and the fan blades follow this contour. The new unit has a completely flat front face and the fan would contact the case if installed. Its not a matter of adding washers due to the fact that the shaft is not long enough to accomodate them. Otherwise the mounting ears and other things appear to be the same.

If someone out there in MV world has an aluminum fan and a matching pulley that goes with a flat faced 5ton alternator, contact me as I need one pronto. Thank you for your time.

Here are some pictures to better illustrate the problem.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fan is internal on the replacement alternator. We figured this out at Aberdeen when we replaced the alternator on CGarbees ride. AM General can conrifm this too.

Westech

CPL
who replaced the alt on cgarbiees truck? We? I think I had to get my little lunch hooks in there lol But really Kenny is right the new style is a tad different but work just as good. I have the newer style on my deuce and 5 ton.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westy is right. The pulley replacement was more of a group discussion. Westy mounted the fender. Sorry Rich.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: 5Ton ALT. DILEMMA!!(PICS)

mangus580 said:
At least it wasnt OCD-boy who had the square out, making sure the lettering on my freeze plug was straight!

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

mangus580 said:
At least it wasnt OCD-boy who had the square out, making sure the lettering on my freeze plug was straight!
Beggars can't be chooosy. I don't think anyone saw you up on that fender putting in the freeze plug.

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: 5Ton ALT. DILEMMA!!(PICS)

Your answer is to just mount the pulley on your CME Arma rebuild and away you go... save all the old stuff as the cores are worth some money....

No.2Diesel

If there ever was one word (not sure if its an actual word) to describe my thoughts right now... DUH!!!

I was looking at the internal fan many times point blank range. Block head syndrom again. Thank you ACE, Recovery and others for your help.

mangus580

Recovry4x4 said:
mangus580 said:
Beggars can't be chooosy. I don't think anyone saw you up on that fender putting in the freeze plug.
Was too busy falling off the back of the truck!

halftrack

You just reuse the pulley from the old alt. The newer one is just the more modern replacement, however, they been around awhile too. Change out about ten of them so for.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Was too busy falling off the back of the truck!
I know I'm drifting off topic a bit but that first step off the back of a deuce is hell in the middle of the night when you gotta take a leak. Just thought I'd share that. Back to your regularly scheduled alternator discussion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks