• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 starter issues

Rogerhsr

I know a guy that has some of them. ME. parts are available.
Ok I got truck back together and I got it cranked good oil pressure and no engine noise now my issue is it’s running very rough and running very rich like it’s loading up it has a mechanical ip that had been rebuilt and I know I set timing correctly when it was installed it smokes so bad I had to pull it outside it was about to kill me lol any advice I’d greatly appreciate anyone

Rogerhsr

Ok I got truck back together and I got it cranked good oil pressure and no engine noise now my issue is it’s running very rough and running very rich like it’s loading up it has a mechanical ip that had been rebuilt and I know I set timing correctly when it was installed it smokes so bad I had to pull it outside it was about to kill me lol any advice I’d greatly appreciate anyone
Btw it’s definitely diesel raw fuel smell coming out of exhaust

richingalveston

is it possible that you just had it flooded out running the starter a lot. have you let It run for a while to see if it clears up.
you may have pushed a lot of fuel into the exhaust system that is burning off also and creating the smoke and smell.

Rogerhsr

is it possible that you just had it flooded out running the starter a lot. have you let It run for a while to see if it clears up.
you may have pushed a lot of fuel into the exhaust system that is burning off also and creating the smoke and smell.
It’s possible but it’s not running good at all and it’s hard to get started

Rogerhsr

what is he total run time. could just have air in the injector lines that need to be bled as far as the rough running.
Hope it is not a bad IP rebuild, that does happen.
Well I haven’t completed everything so I only ran it long enough to pull it outside of shop the radiator isn’t in it one thing I haven’t done is crack all the injector lines loose to bleed air out

richingalveston

don't run it anymore without the radiator working, you won't know it but you can scald the rings pretty quick without any coolant. I would get it all back together and then start it up and crack one line at a time and make sure the air is out of each line.
if it is a fresh rebuild, it will smoke at first getting all the fuel and possible build lube/oil out of the cylinders and exhaust

Rogerhsr

don't run it anymore without the radiator working, you won't know it but you can scald the rings pretty quick without any coolant. I would get it all back together and then start it up and crack one line at a time and make sure the air is out of each line.
if it is a fresh rebuild, it will smoke at first getting all the fuel and possible build lube/oil out of the cylinders and exhaust
I just ran it long enough to pull it outside and I parked it

cucvrus

That issue is hard to diagnose. You have a mixed Hodge podge batch of different parts from different years and it would be a guess at best from afar as to what is causing the issue. Could be the advance on the side of the pump stuck. That 1997 6.5 never came with an mechanical pump that I am aware of. This is a rough issue to resolve. Sorry. Take it to a diesel shop that is reputable. Good Luck.

Rogerhsr

That issue is hard to diagnose. You have a mixed Hodge podge batch of different parts from different years and it would be a guess at best from afar as to what is causing the issue. Could be the advance on the side of the pump stuck. That 1997 6.5 never came with an mechanical pump that I am aware of. This is a rough issue to resolve. Sorry. Take it to a diesel shop that is reputable. Good Luck.
The mechanical pump came from a 1993 6.5 Td it was rebuilt

cucvrus

When was it rebuilt and who rebuilt it? I know guys that rebuild their own transmissions. They do it every year. They save money that way. Just saying. When and who rebuilt it? And did you just buy this vehicle or just install the engine?

Rogerhsr

When was it rebuilt and who rebuilt it? I know guys that rebuild their own transmissions. They do it every year. They save money that way. Just saying. When and who rebuilt it? And did you just buy this vehicle or just install the engine?
It was rebuilt by a well known local shop the specialized in diesel ip the engine came out of a 1997 3500 dually it has around 159k on it

cucvrus

So this is an engine you just installed and want to get it running properly? Are the injection pumps compatible with the engine? That is something I can't answer. that is why I recommend a diesel shop. That is above my pay grade. Good Luck. I would help if I could. But my area is CUCV 6.2 and older GM vehicles. Anything newer than 1987 and I am lost and don't care to know.

Rogerhsr

So this is an engine you just installed and want to get it running properly? Are the injection pumps compatible with the engine? That is something I can't answer. that is why I recommend a diesel shop. That is above my pay grade. Good Luck. I would help if I could. But my area is CUCV 6.2 and older GM vehicles. Anything newer than 1987 and I am lost and don't care to know.
Well the truck is a 1984 the 6.2 that was supposed to be in it was laying on the ground with a hole through the side of the block when I purchased this truck so I had to find a replacement the 6.5 was running and it was cheap so I bought the complete engine for 500 bucks as for the drivetrain I like the manual sm465 so I kept it in the truck and my own personal taste I like square body trucks everyone has their own opinion

Rogerhsr

Well the truck is a 1984 the 6.2 that was supposed to be in it was laying on the ground with a hole through the side of the block when I purchased this truck so I had to find a replacement the 6.5 was running and it was cheap so I bought the complete engine for 500 bucks as for the drivetrain I like the manual sm465 so I kept it in the truck and my own personal taste I like square body trucks everyone has their own opinion
FYI yes the ip is compatible the rebuilder doesn’t that year model engine the late model electronic ip is junk in my opinion

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks