• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 turbo for my 6.2

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: 6.5 turbo for my 6.5

There are NA 6.5 engines the early M998's had them after the 6.2s were outmoded. We pulled all of them in Kuwait and put in 6.5 TD in them at the rebuild.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: 6.5 turbo for my 6.5

Ahhhh, gotta love that downpipe - looks like it has been in a fight. One of the biggest improvements I made to my 6.5 pickup was replacing the stock exhaust with a mandrel bent one.

Looks like you have everything to me except for maybe the crossover pipe and the airbox. The rubber boot for the airbox looks like the one off of my '96, the later ones that look like a roll of paper towels seem to flow a little better and are easier to seal I think. Also you might check the turbo oil feed line for any clogging or damage. I had to replace one when it rubbed through the braided jacket on that adjacent bracket.
Hope this helps,
Chad

superburban

OldVW is right. You need the crossover pipe (the one that feeds exhaust from the driver's manifold to the passenger's). If you are installing this in your CUCV, you need to remover your mechanical fuel pump and replace it with an electrical one, the turbo oil return line bolts up to the place where the old one goes.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something else to think about...On the factory electric fuel pumps, GM used an oil pressure switch and relay to activate it. The relay would allow for power while cranking and then once the switch closed from seeing oil pressure it would continue to run. The idea was if you wrecked it would shut off the pump to prevent dumping fuel on a fire - kinda like the idea behind the impact switch in Ford vehicles.

Electric lift pumps are also nice since you can prime your fuel system without cranking....

gumps10

I don't know that the oil pressure switch is a necessity as much as a nicety and I do know that it can sometimes be a problem....You don't have to run an electric fuel pump you can just find another place to drop you're oil back into the pan. The usual recommendation is to us a Punch to punch the correct size hole into the side of the oil pan and then using petroleum jelly on you're tap, tap it to fit. But there are other places to drop oil into, just make sure its as big as the existing return line and below the Turbo because I don't believe you want to build oil presure in the turbo.

I would also recommend a manual waste gate controller as the vacuumed system is nothing but a PITA and this would save you a lot of screwing around. You are going to want to get at least a boost gauge but should also get a EGT gauge.

Definitely run new exhaust. At least 3", but 3" into 4" would be even better (I believe the Turbo outlet is 3").
Hope this helps
Dave

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know that the oil pressure switch is a necessity as much as a nicety and I do know that it can sometimes be a problem....
Yeah I forgot about how much of a pain they can be when I typed that earlier - I had to replace the switch on my 6.2 and my 6.5. Not having a operating lift pump can be hard on the injection pump..... If you want to go with an electric pump a relay wired to ignition on source would work.

On my 6.5 pickup I ran a Kennedy Diesel 3" turbo back exhaust and it made a huge difference. Being a K1500 it did have the light duty emissions with the soot trap that was prone to plug so the new exhaust was especially noticeable. You could even hear the turbo through the exhaust at idle 8)

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: RE: 6.5 turbo for my 6.5

Spartan said:
CCATLETT1984 said:
I am registered there, all the good info is in the private forums.
Registration is free, and complete access to all private forums is also free once registered. :)

They did not used to be....

Also... please adjust your location in your profile. USA is not adequate. It must be at least on the state level.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks