• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5L GEP Engine Valley Drain

Wire Fox

Alright, so I had this described to me once before, but I'm not seeing one on my block, nor have I found a picture of one online or in a manual to know exactly what I'm looking for. If anyone could help me locate a drain line location for the engine valley, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm real tired of having 2" of water stand on my engine while parked after a rain. I know that it would evap off with the engine at temperature, but that doesn't account for any fuel that might leak off the IP or any other small particles that settle and start to collect on the block. I've thoroughly checked around the oil pump area and see nor feel anything that might be an opening for a drain tube. I'm hoping to find this and presumably unclog a line that must be blocked...

Action

That tube part number is 12553673, GM.
You won't see the tube with the trans and engine bolted together. Look on the driver side where the trans and motor meet. If you find where that tube exits, you can push in a brush or pipe cleaner, anything long enough to reach the top.

Wire Fox

Thanks guys. Found it. For some reason, I wasn't letting myself find it on the vertical wall. I was so fixated on expecting it to be on the horizontal floor that I couldn't find it. Now that I know its diameter, I'll have to scrounge up some kind of wire or pipe cleaner.

Action

About midway down the tube, it flattens out for clearance. That can be z place things get stuck. Your clearing tool should have a thin spine to fit through that area.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use air to blow them out, with rubber tubing on a blowgun, either direction works. Also, vacuum out all of the crud from the valley to keep it clear. Better yet, brush and paint to stop the rust formation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About midway down the tube, it flattens out for clearance. That can be z place things get stuck....
... and what can be... will be...! Of course it will clog!

If there is one stupid design on that engine, it would be that "flattened drain pipe. Being that there is room enough -ëven without any grinding - for a nicely mandrel-bent 3/8" stainless steel tube, with no flat area at all!

One has to ask, what was it what went through that engineer's mind, that day?

G.

Last edited:

Sintorion

Well timed post! Was looking underneath this morning and noticed a puddle of clear fluid. Upon closer inspection turned out to be diesel. Initial reaction was wtf? and where is this coming from since it looked like it was dripping out of the motor then I remembered this thread. Pulled the cover and there was a little pool of diesel sitting in the valley. Probably not a great spot for a leak, and now I have to figure out where exactly it is leaking and then how to get in there without pulling the intake, but at least I am closer thanks to this post.

BLK HMMWV

Well timed post! Was looking underneath this morning and noticed a puddle of clear fluid. Upon closer inspection turned out to be diesel. Initial reaction was wtf? and where is this coming from since it looked like it was dripping out of the motor then I remembered this thread. Pulled the cover and there was a little pool of diesel sitting in the valley. Probably not a great spot for a leak, and now I have to figure out where exactly it is leaking and then how to get in there without pulling the intake, but at least I am closer thanks to this post.
More then likely it is coming from the bottom of the IP.
You are most likely going to have to remove the pump.
I think Retired War Horse referred to it as the Servo Advance Plunger.

I'm not sure if they finally changed the design but from what I remember the sleeve the plunger slid back and forth in was a dissimilar metal then the piston.
One was aluminum the other steel.

Most of the time the problem is fixed during the rebuild process. but if it is an original IP you probably are looking at that as the cause of your leak.

Sintorion

More then likely it is coming from the bottom of the IP.
You are most likely going to have to remove the pump.
I think Retired War Horse referred to it as the Servo Advance Plunger.

I'm not sure if they finally changed the design but from what I remember the sleeve the plunger slid back and forth in was a dissimilar metal then the piston.
One was aluminum the other steel.

Most of the time the problem is fixed during the rebuild process. but if it is an original IP you probably are looking at that as the cause of your leak.
Please don't jinx me!!:) My motor appears to be very fresh. The bolts still shine like new. It almost looks like they put a motor in it and then surplused it. Finger crossed that it is a hose clamp that didn't get tight. I can see a little fuel seeping at one of the fittings where the rubber meets the steel line. The used a cheap standard type hose clamp where I am guessing they should have used a fuel injection type clamp. That is my hope anyway! At least my valley drain wasn't clogged. I could only imagine the nice barbeque I could have created had that pool of fuel created in the middle of the motor.

BLK HMMWV

I hope I'm wrong for your sake too.
I know when the valley drain is clogged and water sits in it the part I'm talking about sort of sits submerged in the front of the valley.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was leaking Diesel into the valley from the pump also. Naturally no mention of this by GP. Mine was leaking from the seal at the accelerator shaft. Took a while shining a bright flashlight in the valley and from the top to pin point it. I decided I didn't want the nightmare of a 6-8 hour job. Farmed it out to a local stanadyne place in St. Cloud,MN. They pulled the pump and replaced the seals and glow plugs for about $700 or so.

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the exit end look like and where is is?
I drove mine today GEP motor, and when I returned home, notice it was leaking something. It was clear and I think water... I had given it a quick was before I got home.
I grabbed the creeper and looked and it appeared to be coming out of a small pipe, maybe 3/8' long on the side of the block, drivers side. Didn't smell like diesel, but was clear. I guess Im wondering if this is the end of the valley drain ????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks