• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5L Serpentine Belt Conversion

ICT_HMMWV

I have an '89 M998 w/ a 6.5L N/A engine/ 3sp tranny. The engine currently has dual v-belts. The simple question is can I convert the v-belts to serpentine? The more complicated question if possible how?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe at minimum you have to swap to a different water pump as it is reversed direction on the serpentine from the V-belt style.
Some of the other accessories may also be reverse spin.

So yes, it is possible, but does involve more than just swapping pulleys.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an '89 M998 w/ a 6.5L N/A engine/ 3sp tranny. The engine currently has dual v-belts. The simple question is can I convert the v-belts to serpentine? The more complicated question if possible how?
Simpler question is why do you need to? I believe NASCAR still uses v-drive and It’s less likely to slip. I think if it came with serpentine belt great and if not cost doesn’t justify the gains. All you get is it’s easier to adjust belt? What are you looking for end result?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simpler question is why do you need to? I believe NASCAR still uses v-drive and It’s less likely to slip. I think if it came with serpentine belt great and if not cost doesn’t justify the gains. All you get is it’s easier to adjust belt? What are you looking for end result?
While the cost and effort my not be worth the gain I have never heard anyone assert that a V belt was less likely to slip! mine squeal like a pig stuck under a rail fence every time the fan kicks in. also there is no "adjustment" on a serpentine belt

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the cost and effort my not be worth the gain I have never heard anyone assert that a V belt was less likely to slip! mine squeal like a pig stuck under a rail fence every time the fan kicks in. also there is no "adjustment" on a serpentine belt
That’s awesome! It’s classic it’s a quirk of your vehicle nothing wrong with a pig stuck in a fence squeeling I think that’s how I met my first wife . I can’t find my glasses this morning so I’m not really sure what in typing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks