• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 digit odometer

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK,
Why do some CUCVs have 6 digit odometers and some only 5? I've seen one M1009 and my own M1028A1 with 6 digit odometers, most seem to have the usual 5 digit (plus 10ths) odometer. Any reason? Replaced? thanks

CCATLETT1984

could just be the different speedo's that chevy had around while assembling the trucks. chevy is kind of known for using that parts that they had on hand if they would work, you can fing all sorts of combinations of parts on models that technically shouldnt have them.

mangus580

Actually I think the 6 digit was the only replacement available after about 88-92ish, as it was used in the bigger C50-70 series trucks.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah, probably somebody put in a later vintage replacement guage cluster.

Now go try to find one of those 6 digit clusters anymore...

AJMBLAZER

Not if you don't live in the rust belt...trying like hell to convince the wife that we need to move south/southwest...

...or if you just take care of your truck. Amazing what hosing down the undersides of a vehicle once a week during the winter can do for it's lifespan.

SuperchargedRS

Rust/dents = improper usage, operator error

Look at the aviation industry, people still fly in planes built in the 50s and 60s, and those planes are better then when they were new... how on earth could this be you ask?
First of all you have to have you ac inspected,
it's not like a truck where you can drive it on 3 or 8 cylinders and diffrent size tires and only have to worry about having a bad ride.

They take care of them, rubbing glycerin jell on the rubber of your truck makes the rubber last longer.
POR15 (or similar) the un-coated areas of your sheet metal eliminates the rust (if done properly)

CLEANNESS IS GODLINESS, if you clean your truck you can prevent rust even on a truck that is not properly undercoated, not to mention while cleaning your undercarriage you are going to find problems EARLIER as you will be in the habit of knowing the EXACT way everything looks under there!

A mechanical device will last until the end of time if proper care is taken

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Heh, nothing amazes me more than the morons around here (we get A LOT of roadsalt on the roads during the 6 months or so they use it) who NEVER wash their vehicles during the winter.

Or the ones who won't pay the extra $2 at the car wash so they get the underbody spray.

I have access to a heated wash bay so at least once a month I scrub and spray the vehicle from top to bottom and even do the door jams. At the very least I get down on my hands and knees and spray everything in sight under the truck.
I saw a decently new GM sedan the other day that was filthy dirty...but it wasn't "drive down a dirt road every day" filth...it was "I was last washed by the dealer when I was new and now have 2-3 years worth of road grime and winter road salt sitting on my paint." The thing had blue-ish stains of dirt/salt/general crap crusted up around the edges of the windshield where the windshield wiper fluid would push it all at speed.
That car's going to be a rust bucket by the time it's 5 years old...
You can get a "the works" premo touchless car wash here in my overpriced town for $9. The next step down that skips the wax but includes the underbody wash is $7. The BASIC "clean the grime off the visible parts" package is $3.

You can afford the payments on a $15-20k car but not a car wash once a month...or once a year?!!!!!

Sorry, ranting again...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks