• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 lug to 8 lug ?

tklm539

Is it possible to mount 8 lug hummer (sorry, cannot remember the military letters) with 36" tires on a m1009. I have a 2" lift in now. I know they need a 2" spacer but cannot find one that brings 6 lug to 8 lug.

Also, how would the bigger wheels effect the m1009

Thanks

TOm

M1075

That seems very expensive. You might also consider recentering the HMMWV wheels, getting new 16.5" wheels with correct bolt pattern, or getting new axles even.

I have been thinking about looking for 3/4 ton axles with 8 lug bolt pattern and lower gearing to run the 36/37" tires.

Attachments

mangus580

Yanno Tom, considering your plan for a gear swap to 3.73's... maybe you should just look for some 3/4 ton axles with 4.10's in them? Then you have the better gears, and the 8 lug for the wheels.

I think in the end, it would make more financial sense.

tklm539

Thanks Mike,

That answered my question. I was thinking that the 3.73 would not go well with the bigger wheels. I did not want to jump to 4.10. I still do a lot of highway driving.

Paul put a great st of wheels on and they are like new. I was thinking the bigger ones would be a good second set.

I tried finding new axles. I thought it would be easy. No dice. Cannot find them anywhere.

Tom

mangus580

Well, I have a good front for you... the rear needs a rebuild or new carrier. Had a gov-lock that failed over many years.

If you want to run anything bigger than 33" tires, I would suggest the jump to 4.10's anyway. With the larger tires, its not really going to hurt you much, if at all.

tklm539

Am I reading that you have a good 8 bolt front in 4.10 and have an 8 bolt in the rear 4.10 that needs a rebuild?

If so I may be very interested. What would the effect be with 36" tires on speed and Mpg?

mangus580

Here is a great calculator website for just that.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

And, yes, I have take out axles from my old Civvy pickup. The rear also has a disk brake conversion on it. These axles have been sitting for 2 years now, so I would suspect they will need new brake rotors, etc. The front might also want new ball joints.

AJMBLAZER

Are you a member over on www.ColoradoK5.com ? Lots of NE US members there and I'd bet a few of them have the stuff or know where to get it.

Also look for some local 4x4 clubs and websites. It's amazing how many deals you can find within driving distance.

Any local 4x4 shops? If so ask them and check their bulletin board.