• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

600V 60KW 3Ph 50/60hz Set

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a machine with some wacky power requirements, necessitating a dedicated set to put out 600v 3 phase, and roughly 60KW. The folks I got the machine from, ran the unit off of a 90KW set, but noted it was oversized for the application.

So I'm looking into options for a new (hopefully used) gen set, and could use some advice. Is there anything available through surplus that would fit the bill? So far my research says no, but this isn't really my wheel-house. It appears 600v sets are more common in Canada, and in the oilfield industry stateside, but most appear to be massively oversized for my application, usually putting out power measured in mega watts. Wondering if you have any direction I should be looking in?

Alternately, I've found a few gen heads that are approximately the right size, but have never taken on the project of mating a head to a motor, and setting up the governor system to control throttle inputs. Thoughts?

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd look into a 480 to 600 step up transformer in order to use a standard generator set.

Interesting idea, thanks! Had read that you can lower the voltage from a 600v gen set to 480 but not the other way around. I'll look into transformers, seems perfect!

Last edited:

Scoobyshep

Transformer is definitely the way to go. At that point will you even need a generator? Not sure where you intend to run this, but if you have 480 available and a large enough service you shouldn't need a generator at all

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the recommendations on the transformer guys. Talk about hitting the easy-button! Found this 75KVA unit that looks like it'll fit the bill:

Unfortunately the machine is used away from grid power, so some type of gen. set will still be required. Have an mep806b I'm in the process of getting running, but it looks like it would be marginal on power output for the machine by itself. I assume paralleling two of these units into the same transformer would not be a problem?

How many amps would I lose jumping from 480 to 600v? Looks Like I'll be producing 104a @ 480V. Hoping this one set will be able to run it by itself...

Here's the power info on the 806b set:
61740519353__5239F34D-1BDE-4D59-9385-58B927FC55AE.JPG

61740520372__D45D0665-B219-41DD-B6FF-EE68DB110481.JPG

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reactions: NDT

nextalcupfan

I must admit I'm quite curious to know what you're powering, since that's alot of power. (Well to me it is)

Anyway about the power output on the 806b, it can put out 74.9Kw continuously at 1.0 power factor.

133% surge is 99.6Kw (Rated at that for either 15 min or 1 min, pretty sure 133 is 15 min and 150 is 1 min but I cant find those numbers in the TM right now)

Pretty sure the 806b has enough oomph for your needs.

Scoobyshep

60 kw at 480 is 60 kw at 600

Voltage primary/voltage secondary= amprage secondary/amperage primary if you're interested in the formula. Or you can solve by wattage. Remember there is a difference between kw and kva

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks