• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

605 miles from Hayes, Virginia to Kenton, Ohio in M813

doenges83

So I have always wanted a deuce and a half since the first time I saw one as a kid. Have bought a few of the cucv trucks and been to a couple of bases and had told my self that I would one day be picking up one. As time has progressed my facination with the deuces has leaned towards buying a 5 ton instead. As luck would have it I sold my ex Air National guard crew cab Chevy and one of the old airport Chevy bonus cab trucks and was without a vehicle to drive. Had a lump of cash in hand but didn't know what I wanted for a vehicle. Looked at some really nice 80's body Chevy crew cabs but none really jumped out and said buy me. So I typed in military vehicles just for fun, and about 30 deuces and 5 tons popped up. It was at that point I told myself it was time to make the plunge. After watching a few days and letting some go on I noticed one that had an opening bid of $5,500 but nobody had bid on it. It was a M813 with a winch and the 14.00r20 Michelin tires. I placed the opening bid and two days later nobody bid against me. The realization that it was mine was exciting. After a few phone calls to the owner to reassure the trucks condition as far as being road worthy, I made plans to get the truck and drive it home the 605 miles back to Ohio. A friend of mine and I got a rental car and left out on a Friday night to be there early in the morning on Saturday. After looking over the truck and confirming the condition as best as I could not having any clue about these trucks, I paid the money and was off on my way for home. Needless to say but the ride conditions were less than ideal. About 20 miles into the trip the canvas top over the cab started seperating at the front seem. By the time I found an auto parts store the stitching let loose all the way across the front. I couldn't help but laugh to myself thinking there is no way this top is going to make it back home in one piece. So with a roll of duct tape we were on our way again. About every two hours we would stop and I would have to do a little retaping and just get out and walk around. About half way home the rubber cord that holds the canvas in the back let loose and air was blowing in so hard that it had my shirt up around my armpits. Again I had to pull over and we found a truck stop where I bought some nylon rope and tied it back in place. The rest of the trip went as good as it could be expected with the occasional stops to retape or just to stretch. We finally made it home about 26 hours after the time we left and where both completely wore out. The thing about the trip is I don't think you could wipe the smile off of my face the whole ride back. :-D:driver:
I have been driving the truck to work everyday since for the last two weeks and already have many plans for this trucks future. I will post pics of the truck soon to show off my new chariot.

doenges83

Thanks everyone and I know now how strong this addiction can be. I spend a lot of free time looking up parts and ideas for things to do to this behemoth.

doenges83

So here is the photos of my truck that I jacked off of the ebay listing. The only difference now is the large amount of duct tape holding the cab canvas and I have taken off the rear canvas so that I could inspect my bows. I have one bow that is broken and a lot of bolts missing from the brackets. I also did notice that the left steer boot seal is leaking out grease. How hard are these to change and how critical is it to get it done as far as should I stop driving it or is it ok to drive.

M813 drivers side.jpgM813 front.jpgM813 pass side.jpg

FloridaAKM

Welcome to the Green Iron Addiction Club, you made a long trip home without Murphy noticing you were gone! Congratulations on getting a good looking truck by the pictures you posted. You will have to replace the boot, hopefully sooner than later if you drive anywhere other than paved roads. There are TM's & tutorials here on what you need to do to replace it along with a through going over the entire truck to check it out & get familiar with her! Nice score!

bradm454

about three weeks ago I bought a 1971 m35a2 in Illinois and drove it 700 miles back to pa. what a long trip that was 9 hours out in the duramax and 18 back with the m35a2 and pretty much had a top speed of 52mph. but I will say I am lucky to say my only break down was a air leak and was a easy fix after the auto parts store. still loads of fun and love the truck!

doenges83

So I did a little research today on the axle boot and found a couple of options. Are the zipper boot seals any good and how long do they last? I am kinda needing a quick fix and seen this option. Comments/opinions would be much appreciated!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks