• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6V53T Engine Questions etc - Removal and Inspection etc

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an XM800T with a 6V53T engine that has been sitting since the late 1970s and more than likely has not been started since then. I have not pulled the engine out of the vehicle yet, but plan to sometime in the next few weeks. The engine has about 310 hours on it (according to the meter on it) and has driven belt pulleys on the flywheel side of the engine for the cooling fan. I'd prefer to not have to rebuild it, just strip it down, replace some gaskets, and other items that night need it from age and then clean up, de-rust and paint.

Once I pull the engine, what tests, etc (assuming it's not frozen or stuck) do I need to do to check the condition and see if it is in great, good, fair or needing rebuilding condition? Is there a list of things to look for, things to test, etc? I figure I'd drop the oil pan and check for water and other items. Would like a detailed as possible list of things I should do before just saying screw this and trying to find another one to use after moving the turbo to the front of the engine and making a whole bunch of other changes and modifications to the engine.

Thanks in advance.
Jason

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks