• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 all gears

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
no need, it will have front wheel drive in all gears anytime it is needed, as soon as the rears slip the front will engage

Barrman

The 5 ton has the Sprag style tcase. The front axle engages when the rear tires start to spin faster than the fronts. When you put it in reverse, can you hear the air pushing the selector? Actually, it is more of a thunk when you put it into gear and a hssss when you take it out of reverse.

kurtkds

I was wonder about the air selector switch myself. I wasn't sure if I should hear the air shift only when I go from neutral to reverse and back, or if I would also hear the air shift going from neutral to first.

Wasn't sure if I needed to tear into it, but it sounds like it's working normal.

Hammer

You only hear the thunk going INTO reverse, and the release of air when taking it OUT of reverse.

Also note, just because you hear the hissing air being released, does NOT mean that it is actually engaging the reverse sprag!
On a new-to-me truck, I like to drive the truck a little bit, move the oil around some, then repeatedly shift from reverse to neutral. After a couple of times doing this, it seems to get that sprag to engage like it should. After that I haven't had any problems.

militarysteel

Yeah i hear ya, i do enjoy the air engagement with the M35A2, you could take it out in the mud and try to see if the front end eve works.
most of the time they do not. The 900 Series was changed to the Air Engagement like the Duce.

wrench

Just picked up an 818 tractor, was trying to figure out how the front axle engages(on ice) noticed that the front drive shaft didnt turn when the rears were spinning, then tried it in reverse and the front was spinning( I actually had the truck against a cement wall with it throttled up) is something broke??
Thanks.

Alredneck

Banned
There is a old post somewhere on here, that tells you how to convert the 5ton sprag to a air shift switch for positive engagement. I have looked for this post but the search on here still sucks. Hopefully someone will post a link to said post so we all can be wiser! I am trying to do this mod on several 5tons and pics would also be a help if some has done this already!

jwaller

Just picked up an 818 tractor, was trying to figure out how the front axle engages(on ice) noticed that the front drive shaft didnt turn when the rears were spinning, then tried it in reverse and the front was spinning( I actually had the truck against a cement wall with it throttled up) is something broke??
Thanks.
sounds like the forward part of the sprag is fubar. same as mine.

Hammer

There are two ways about having a switch.

The first part is just putting a switch to the current setup.
This allows you to roll backwards without having the transmission in reverse. Kind of handy!
It basically disables the entire sprag setup.

The second setup requires changing the sprag and gears in the tcase to allow for a direct drive with the positive engagement of the front axle. The current setup is mis-geared and will break stuff if you drive on hard surfaces with the sprag positively engaged.....

wrench

I really havent gotten bit by buying these trucks yet, so I figured I would pull the drain out of the T-case to see what come out. Normal shavings on the magnet, so I filled er up with parts cleaner and took it for a ride, it didnt take long and the front axle engaged (on ice ) like it should. Thanks for the replies.

kurtkds

I'll try the same thing maybe using ATF. I just came inside from playing in some loose dirt, front axle was a no joy. Could hear the thunk going into reverse and when I would go back to first and tried to move I could hear a thunk in the transfer case but no positive engagement in the front axle.

It seemed like once or twice the front axle tried to engage but didn't stick.

I didn't try it in reverse, ran out of time. Hopefully the thunk going forward is a good sign that things are a little stiff right now.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks