• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7 Ton transmission oil change

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made a video of changing the oil in the tranny. I know Micah made a video but I thought I would do a different take on it.

MAdams

Jon, loved your video and the commentary is great. My trans has a high level of copper too, likely coming from the trans cooler/heat exchanger in the radiator leaching a bit of copper into the oil. I'm shocked to here that Blackstone didn't find water in the oil. It looks like rust to me.

I think ATF in a MTVR is fine. The 7 ton trans runs so much cooler than the 5 tons, which can easily get over 250 degree. I've yet to get my 7 ton to 200 degree.

I'm not one to give a lot of advice, but I would defiantly change the oil again soon. The oil that was in there looks terrible and only you know how it tastes lol.

BTW, you pronounced my name correctly at 30min in the video. Kudos

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Micah,

Thanks for your input. I think you should post a link to your video here too. Our videos are different but both are helpful so they should both be posted where people can find them. I did put a link to your video in my description on YouTube.

Yes, I will change the fluid again. I just want to get a few miles on it to work the fluid around a bit. I think my truck sat for a while and maybe some water got in there or at the very least, the fluid got gummy and now things are dirty in there. I want to let the fluid clean things up a bit.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you are not for using Transsyn due to the cost you can surf ebay like I do periodically and get BG or Mobil for around $120 for a 4 or 5 gallon bucket. Which is preferred reasonable.

If you stick with regular ATF consider a bypass filter system like they use on engines to get a under 1 micron rating and it will put additives back into the atf. Also burns off any moisture

Nomadic

On an RV forum a fluid tech that worked for decades at Allison had an Ask Me Anything thread. He said Transynd is the best you can get for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks