• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700r4 conversion

MaiNiaK

Had one in my old 87, tuned port, trans am. That transmission took a lot of abuse..

Good luck and Welcome.

Last edited:

jatonka

Kenny, is there a sticky on the complete list of parts required? I want to do my 1008 before my old Dodge diesel finally dies so I have a set of wheels that goes faster than 45. John T

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is not that I can think of John but I think I can scribble something down here in a minute or two that gets you real close. Please forgive my lack of the ability to space paragraphs. There is something with this network computer settings that prevents it. 1) Transmission. Make sure it's a decent quality rebuild. The 700R4 from a diesel uses a different governor so instruct your rebuilder accordingly. Also make sure it's a "K" case. These have a few differences for dealing with transfer case weight. 2) Either a TO transfer case or the 27 spine input gear for your existing case. The case on the turbo 400 is 32 spline. 3) Adapter. There are 2 distinctly different adapters. The long one is the correct one but if all you have is short, a spacer can be fabbed up. 4) Diesel throttle valve (TV) cable. It's much shorter than the gasser one. 5) New flex plate. Trust me, they are different. 6) New or reman torque converter. If you want a warranty from the rebuilder of the tranny, you will need one of these. 7) TV linkage. This piece is the holy grail of the swap. Long out of production, you have to scrounge to get one or check out Ebay. Expect to pay $100 or so on there for one. 8) Torque converter lockup controls. Many available, check with your rebuilder on which one will work with your trans. Most everything else is nickel and dime stuff. Your existing crossmember will work as will the driveshafts. Factory shifter will work as well but if you want to see OD, you will need to change the shift legend. Not a difficult swap if you are prepared going in!

acesneights1

Good to know. I just got in two junkers, both with diesel specific 700 setups. Both have the TV brackets

bryancarson

I went with a 700r4 out of an 1989 2500 4x4 that was behind a 6.2 K case $250 (had to drive to Traverse City to get it) came with torque convertor, picked up the flex plate also. Advanced adapters th400 to 700r4 kit did this because its supposed to retain th400 length and I had just had the drive shaft retubed balanced with new U joints. OD lock up kit from TCI, Transmission cooler from Derale. Originally intended to rebuild the unit myself (bought the how to CD) but met with the local tranny guy (who seemed to know his way around a 700r4) and for $480 he rebuilt it. New TV cable from LMC. The bracket I'm nervous about got that from LMC stated in the catalog it was the proper TV cable bracket but when it came in the mail it had edelbrock printed all over it? So hopefully its the same? Using Royal Purple max ATF hoping it will keep it cooler as they advertise. Think that's about it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone is looking for parts please start a WTB thread in the classifieds. The open forums are not the place to buy or sell items.

bryancarson

Thank you for your input Warthog. I did not intend to post or request parts in this forum, my intention was simply to ascertain whether 2 6.2L diesels that I have in my friends pole barn would have the proper throttle valve cable bracket. I will have to reread my posts in the future to ensure this does not happen again. Once again I apologize as it was not my intention to request or offer parts in this forum just have a question answered.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW one of those 6.2 700R4 thingies just popped up on a popular site. It has a proud owner.

bryancarson

Finished!! 700r4 in, 500 miles on it, the only thing I noticed was shift from 1st to 2nd chirps the tires. First tank mixed traffic highway and city 19.2mpg, second tank all highway 22.7mpg. She now has now problem cruising at 75 with a low rumble instead the scream at 60 (did increase tire size to 33). So far I'm HAPPY!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can thank that little bark on the 3.06 first gear. Really helps get the truck moving.

bryancarson

Gotta thank all of those before me for the countless tips on the 700r4 conversion and the starter relay conversion, I drive down the road at high speed with a HUGE grin on my face now! When I first entered the military the cucv's were just beginning to be phased out (2001) always loved them. Thanks to everyone who's post I've read and owe a huge debt of gratitude too.

bryancarson

Ok, I have a couple of gas tachometers laying around and read some where that you can run them thru the alternator? Has anyone done this on their cucv? Is there some kind of conversion to the signal that needs to be done?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks