• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

71 M38A1 CDN3 Tailgate (or lack of)

army brat

Hi All

I am new to the forum and have just purchased a 71 M38A1 CDN3 that is in very good shape. I am going to take it back to original........or how I remember them as a boy in the 70's growing up in a military base (That won't be hard to do as it is for the most part it's complete and solid with only 11000 original miles on it)
My question is this; As far as I know the history on this jeep is that it was a "tug" on an airforce base (this would account for the low miles, solid body and red paint...no salt on the runways!)
Somewhere along the line the jeep had the "tailgate" cut open on it, I assume it was for another winch from the looks of things. The guy I got the jeep from bought an incorrect tailgate to put on it (functioning) I am trying to find out if anyone knows where I can find a solid tailgate to re-weld onto the jeep instead of using the incorrect tailgate.
Any pictures I have seen the M38 has a square channel at the top lip not a round lip found on the tailgate.
Any help would bee appriciated.
And oh yeah I have a "jeep" tailgate new for trade if somone has what I am looking for

Cheers

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Various parts suppliers like Midwest Military make reproduction sheetmetal and they offer rear tub patch panels.

Alternately, you could try and find a parts tub to cut the rear section out of. I have a parts tub, but I think the shipping to you would be prohibitive (and mine isn't perfect either).

army brat

Found it!

Hi and thanks for all the help,

The Jeep is an M38a1 CDN3 according to the build plate. (I'll get some pictures posted)

I was given the name of a parts supplier who does in fact have this piece complete in a repair panel, that makes my life alot easier when I get to the back end.

Thanks again for all your help

Mark

txdodge43man

To my knowledge the m38a1 did not have a tail gate the CJ5 did have a tail gate. I am not sure what the CDN3 stands for but it is possible that it is a CJ5 that the air force used. Pictures will help when you post them. I know that the air force and the navy both bought the civilian jeeps and used them on base.

army brat

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the help!
1 CDN3 stands for 3 generation Canadian Varient
2 I have done so more investigation and see that the window frame has been patched up at the top, and from what I have found on the internet I think that this may have had the 106 mounted on. That would explane the wide open backend and no seat (who knows though, someone might have just cut the backend right out of it) Also found on the passanger side fender holes that have been brazed over that look suspiciously like a spare could have been mounted there at one time. I'll have to get the fender off and see whats on the back side.

Thanks again for all your help

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks