• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

75uf capacitors

m880 kate

while checking the harness at the ballast resistor,a lump was found under the tape. inside were 2 75uf capacitors,one of which had the lead broken off(thus no ignition). a trip to 3 auto parts stores and radio shack got me nowhere. do i need these, or are they for ignition interferance?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
while checking the harness at the ballast resistor,a lump was found under the tape. inside were 2 75uf capacitors,one of which had the lead broken off(thus no ignition). a trip to 3 auto parts stores and radio shack got me nowhere. do i need these, or are they for ignition interferance?
From your description the installation certainly is not original, but, those could possibly have been added to replace the ignition condenser across the points (assuming there are points!).

Could more likely be for radio interference filtering as you said, and if so these caps would be from the DC lead to ground. If one capacitor lead broke it would be disconnected and would have no effect, not kill the ignition as your post indicated has happened. So maybe it's not for filtering??

Options if you can't find a 75 uf cap for replacement: If these two are in parallel then you have the option of using one 150 uf cap to replace them both. Check for voltage rating on the old one to be sure the new one is the same or higher.

If the two caps are in series (as would be done to double voltage rating) then the capacitance you need would be halved to 37.5 uf 'by the numbers', but there ain't no such capacitor. One 33 uf cap (a standard value) at twice the voltage rating of the originals, would replace both old ones.

If the capacitors are in series, AND they are replacements for an internal ignition condenser, then one broken lead would disable both capacitors, and that could certainly disrupt ignition by causing fast failure of the points.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

N1265

There not in the stock ( Civi ) wiring diagram, and my truck does not have them.

Hard telling what a previous owner was thinking or trying to accomplish by adding them.

digschopper

to avoid confusion; this is digger,m88,kates bf. her m880 is a 77,with pointless ignition. i had a civilian d100,and can't recall ever seeing these capacitors in my own truck,which had the same ignition. the caps were taped inside the brach of the harness that has the wiper plug on it. one white wire split into 2,with a cap. on each. i'll be out there today getting more info. i appreciate your help,as this truck has a mere 55k miles on it,and needs only new rockers under the doors to be 100%. oh,and cammy paint if she'll allow it,lol. as for time travel,it was last used by a fire dept for forest fires,so maybe the last owner is dousing flames in the year 2043?

nattieleather

Sounds like someone decided to tried to design a better mouse trap by putting the two caps in to replace the original device. Just get a new one (resister that is) and get your truck back on the road.

digschopper

the capacitors are in 2 white leads that combine and are grounded on the firewall. they go to the two bottom(as viewed from the back of the plug) ports,one alone on bottom left,the other joins a brown bottom right. while eliminating them with wire,the gray lead snapped off. where does this one go?

papakb

They're there to kill alternator whine into the radio. If that's not a problem can them both and drive on. If you still have alternator whine Radio Shack sells a kit to eliminate it.

Kurt

digschopper

these were on the wiper motor pigtail. what i thought was the ballast resister ...isn't it mounted directly to the motor with 2 leads,and is ceramic. i agree the caps are for radio interference,and i know better than replace them by hard-wiring them,lol. so ok,i cut the caps out. the actual wire colors of the wiper plug correspond with neither on-line schematics OR the repair manual.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks