• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 cummins fan clutch

trooper632

I have a M931a2 its new to me and have run it a couple of times but the fan clutch has never engauged. I have kept a close eye on the temp gauge and it hasent gotten over 200 degrees yet, but I would have thought the fan would have engauged by that temp. I have looked through the TM's but could not find at what temp the clutch is suppose to engauge, also searched the forums and found several discussions about the 250 cummins but need guidance on the 8.3 fan clutch, thanks for any help, The fan will spin freely but just wont engauge.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most shutter stats open /close at 180*. I cant rember if the military shutter stats are always in the open or closed pisition. Maybe someone else will chime in. If your shutter stat is working like it should then it's time to rebuild the fan clutch. Sorry im getting old and have CRS systrome.

Last edited:

Dig

I wondered if my fan clutch worked until today. The fan on my 915a1 had never engaged as far as I knew. I assumed the worst until today when I left the hood opened while I started the truck. The service air pressure was low and the fan spun to beat the band until operating pressure built up. At least I know the clutch works, but not at what temperature. Hope this isn't mentioned elsewhere, if it is, I'm sorry to fill the space needlessly.

Last edited:

trooper632

Ok, So I opened up the hood and pulled the throttle up to 1500 rpm as Carlo suggested and let the truck warm up and the Fan came alive. So everything works well, thanks Carlo for the advise.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can find out if it takes air to engage just bypass the shutter stat and see if the fan works. You need to check shutter stat first.
Wish someone would have chimed in cause it's been a long time since I did mine. I'm thinking the shutter stat is normaly open. Then when the air builds it disingages. When it over heats and closes the fan locks up. This way in my thinking if we ever loose air the fan will lockup but we can still use the truck cause it wont over heat. Then we get back fix problem.

Last edited:

Sambor

Just found this post so a day late and dollar short-- but, I found on the 8.3 cummins installed in the 931A2 like mine that it takes air pressure to engage the clutch. I know this because I thought maybe mine was bad so I applies shop air( it takes just a little) to the hose from the fan control temp solenoid to the clutch and fan locked up and worked perfectly. The opening temp is stamped on the solenoid and mine is 190 deg. The part # is correct for that temp according to Evans website. If you were to lose air, or the solenoid failed, there are 2 bolts stored on the clutch housing to put in the fan hub to lock it to the pulley so it will run all the time until the problem can be repaired. This info is in the Ops manual.

Regards,
JOhn

Capehenery

I know this is an old thread but I would like some direction.
I have read TM 9-2320-272-24-1 and found the reference to the override bolts for an A! but it does not mention it for the A2.
What TM do I need to find the reference. I did a search on the site and found this link. I'll keep looking and reading but if someone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Codyinboise

My fan clutch is leaking air through a torx bolt on the front. This bolt has a hole through it can I just replace it with a solid bolt?

Codyinboise

Fan clutch leaking air.

My fan clutch is leaking air through a torx bolt on the front. This bolt has a hole through it can I just replace it with a solid bolt?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks