• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8 ton on a deuce?

andyindy

Thinking about putting a fertilizer/lime spreader bed on a duece. Loads could be 8 ton+.I can fish plate the frame myself. Doc Farmall has been talking about spring up grades. Who has done this? The lime will be hauled in on a semi or tri axle, then re loaded on spreader truck, in other words, no hiway use. Fertilizer would be weighed out in a batch, so weight would be easier to controll. This would be hiway use. I already have the deuce, would a five ton be better? Any thoughts, comments? Thanks Andy.........

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: 8 ton on a duece?

I think a 5 ton would be better suited as well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have seen a few deuces with fertilizer spreaders on them. I had never payed any attention to the suspension for modifications (doubt there were any). It seems like there might have been a few at the farm where Jed(reddevilsdude) works too.

beaubeau

I know the Deuce can pull it OK, but the Week link are the Brakes!! It would be OK for off road and in low range in pasture. I used to haul 14 to 16tons in a 5ton dump, no Problem!!, Phil

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guy down the road from me has a lime spreader on a deuce. Don't know what weight he puts on it. I've hauled 8 ton on my deuce dump, it did it okay, but would not do it everyday. I would recommend a 5-ton also.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck will haul 8 ton but I've noticed that when one is loaded that heavy the rear springs give from side to side over rough ground. I'd say if you get on rough ground or a side slope you would turn it over pretty easily.

The wrost thing about hauling fert. is it will eat a truck up in no time.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will haul it. I'd use some care, of course. Because the point of suspension is centered between the two rear axles, it will be critical to have the load distributed, with a good portion forward on the front end. It should be unloaded evenly too.

Years ago, with an M211, I went out and cut a bunch of green spruce into 16 footers, and heaped them up to the top of the racks, & rounded up in the middle. Steering was a dream - it was just something that you thought about. It took a while to happen.

Lee in Alaska

beaubeau

When I was in Viet Nam, I saw many a Deuce loaded Chuck full with crates of 155 rounds and also pulling a TRL with a full load. So it is not unusual to see a Deuce LOADED UP. Just use Common sense and CAUTION when hauling heavy loads. I hauled 6000 gallons of water in Nam with a 5ton Multifuel tractor. I figure that must of weighed about 60,000 lbs or more. ????!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Water is 8.3 lbs/gallon so you had about 50k behind it no counting the trailer! Heck of a load! I would feel better with a 5-ton truck, especially if there is any chance it would go on the road.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
In the Korean war Transportation officers had loads of 20 tons or more of ammo on the old WWII dueces when the ammunition made the difference in stopping the enemy. It did not happen often but I have seen pictures of some of the loads and read first hand accounts of the guys that did it.

This does not mean you should overload it but it was build to take a beating.

Try doing that with an FMTV variant and the guns will stop firing because the truck broke.

reuben

I have hauled 10 tons of gravel quite often on a single rear axle chevy dump truck, just don't go very fast. 8 tons feels like a reasonable load. the neighbor has done same amount on a deuce with 2 axles and it looks like it handles it easier. but that much seems like a maximum and have to take it slow and not get in a situation where ya have to stop fast. In the field side hills and weak springs would be the main issue where a 5 ton would help alot. In the chevy truck I don't dare get on much of a side slope with a load.
I think the duece would do it, but a 5 ton would do it better.

bottleworks

I had about 7 tons in the back. With the age of the tranny, it made it hard to get into the next gear before I lost momentum. Braking was within limits. However, single circuit brakes systems are not safe in a correct working state. The suspension was loaded down a couple inches, but still had a ways to go before it could touch the bump stops... Maybe this info may assist...