• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a indoor operation

mlaxton

Looking for some ideas, I want to store and run my 803a out of this shed. I have a couple questions.

1. I want to make a 90* turn straight out of the side with the exhaust. Then another 90* elbow facing downward. This should keep the rain out. I’m thinking up with an exhaust flap may be bad. I live in FL and a hurricane might rip the flap off?

2. I have 2 wire controller and the machine will be on ATS. Is there a premise part some sort of flex duct with a plenum that’s attaches to the top of the machine to get rid of hot air off the radiator? Or am I stuck fabricating something myself? Maybe the military has an option for this? Another option could be a backdraft damper and an exhaust fan at the top? On a thermostat? Don’t want the room building heat constantly until it over heats. May have to keep the doors closed in a storm. Any feedback or pics of other people with a similar set up would be appreciated.
91C355E4-5440-4723-8DE7-EE42B7E856AF.jpeg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heat will be a concern as you note, maybe you can find rectangular HVAC ducting that you can adapt to the machine, and exit via plenum in your wall (you could open a cover to it only when in use, secure otherwise closed).

As for the routing... (2) 45* bends are much preferred over a single 90*. I would not recommend a second angling later down the line though. I would simply buy a NPT cover (https://www.steelsupplylp.com/sku/1...term=4580084407688200&utm_content=Ad group #1) to put on your exhaust when not in use, and remove during outages. Best seal you can get, so long as you remember to take it off ;)

mlaxton

The heat will be a concern as you note, maybe you can find rectangular HVAC ducting that you can adapt to the machine, and exit via plenum in your wall (you could open a cover to it only when in use, secure otherwise closed).

As for the routing... (2) 45* bends are much preferred over a single 90*. I would not recommend a second angling later down the line though. I would simply buy a NPT cover (https://www.steelsupplylp.com/sku/101109?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Pipe Fittings Shopping&utm_term=4580084407688200&utm_content=Ad group #1) to put on your exhaust when not in use, and remove during outages. Best seal you can get, so long as you remember to take it off ;)
I am a TIG welder by trade so I assume I’ll be making a plenum and flex duct. Lol was just hoping the military made something for that option. If they even run them indoors for some reason

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you would find that where 10kw was needed, they used the MEP-903A instead (10kw enclosureless APU).

Chainbreaker

Since you live in Fla and expect to encounter hurricanes...How well is your shed anchored or sheltered from direct winds if its not attached to a poured foundation or footings? One wouldn't want to put a nice 803 in it and have the shed blow over sideways or perhaps even tumble across the yard.

Also, remember to have a louvered air intake vent down low on shed to pull in cool air with the exhaust air vent up high (powered exhaust vent?). That 803 has to be able to breath and cool well if you plan on closing the doors & running it during any kind of storm on an extended basis.

I recall there were some SS member's posts showing pictures of exhaust running out of enclosures using combinations of straight pipe and flexible exhaust pipe sections to avoid 90 degree bends and help manage any vibrations from extended exhaust piping..

Guyfang

Staff member
I am a TIG welder by trade so I assume I’ll be making a plenum and flex duct. Lol was just hoping the military made something for that option. (No. Nothing like this needed. MEP means Mobile Electric Power.) If they even run them indoors for some reason

I think you would find that where 10kw was needed, they used the MEP-903A instead (10kw enclosureless APU). (No. Never happen See above answer. The MEP-903A was mounted in a truck, and even in a trailer setup. It slides in and out on a big "drawer". That's why its called a "Tunnel" Generator. What ever it was put into, the receiving unit had to have a tunnel for the drawer to slide in and out of.)

Also, remember to have a louvered air intake vent down low on shed to pull in cool air with the exhaust air vent up high (powered exhaust vent?). That 803 has to be able to breath and cool well if you plan on closing the doors & running it during any kind of storm on an extended basis.

Several years ago, I helped a German hook up something like you want. We used flex hose for the exhaust, with a rain flap on top. We installed two ventilators, one up high for exhaust, one down low for cool air in. I rigged up a relay to turn on the fans when ever the gen set was running. We of course put some GOOD screening material on both of them to keep critters out. Do not use cheap fans. Spend a bit more and get good quality industrial fans. That way you only buy them one time. He bought twice cheap, one time "good".

mlaxton

Since you live in Fla and expect to encounter hurricanes...How well is your shed anchored or sheltered from direct winds if its not attached to a poured foundation or footings? One wouldn't want to put a nice 803 in it and have the shed blow over sideways or perhaps even tumble across the yard.

I recall there were some SS member's posts showing pictures of exhaust running out of enclosures using combinations of straight pipe and flexible exhaust pipe sections to avoid 90 degree bends and help manage any vibrations from extended exhaust piping..
The sheds down here are anchored into the ground and build to 150mph wind speeds. I also added OBS board interior on top of that. Which should strengthen it up a ton.

mlaxton

I am a TIG welder by trade so I assume I’ll be making a plenum and flex duct. Lol was just hoping the military made something for that option. (No. Nothing like this needed. MEP means Mobile Electric Power.) If they even run them indoors for some reason

I think you would find that where 10kw was needed, they used the MEP-903A instead (10kw enclosureless APU). (No. Never happen See above answer. The MEP-903A was mounted in a truck, and even in a trailer setup. It slides in and out on a big "drawer". That's why its called a "Tunnel" Generator. What ever it was put into, the receiving unit had to have a tunnel for the drawer to slide in and out of.)

Several years ago, I helped a German hook up something like you want. We used flex hose for the exhaust, with a rain flap on top. We installed two ventilators, one up high for exhaust, one down low for cool air in. I rigged up a relay to turn on the fans when ever the gen set was running. We of course put some GOOD screening material on both of them to keep critters out. Do not use cheap fans. Spend a bit more and get good quality industrial fans. That way you only buy them one time. He bought twice cheap, one time "good".
I found a very nice set up controlled by a thermostat. In theory I should be able to place one up high and one down low just turned around to blow air in. The Louvers close when they are off and seal the shed back up. The fans are 3200 CFM each. Think that’s enough to control the heat in the shed? Might not have to worry about radiator heat?

Scoobyshep

Also in fl. I have my 004 piped out of a shed 90 degrees up with a rain cap. I cut a hole in the wall and ducted the radiator out the wall. I also did some wiring to have it autostart on power failure

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Chainbreaker

The sheds down here are anchored into the ground and build to 150mph wind speeds. I also added OBS board interior on top of that. Which should strengthen it up a ton.
Yeah, I would hope there are building codes for them now. Sounds like you have it under control! I haven't lived in Fla (Lakeland) in a long-long-long time. Though I did experience one hurricane and remember the effects of a 130 mph hurricane on things not anchored or otherwise tied down.

mlaxton

Also in fl. I have my 004 piped out of a shed 90 degrees up with a rain cap. I cut a hole in the wall and ducted the radiator out the wall. I also did some wiring to have it autostart on power failure

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
And the set runs well with the 90 on it? Thanks!

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to make a 90* turn straight out of the side with the exhaust.
I would recommend a section of flex metal hose at the machine ( McMaster Carr, search for
" https://www.mcmaster.com/5262K59/ " for an example). As much as these machines vibrate, any hard pipe connected to the exhaust manifold will create major stresses in the manifold. I used the galvanized metal hose on one of my MEP-016D's, and it works great.

smokem joe

I used a section of thread pipe that had a flex in it like mentioned above. It takes care of vibration and removes the weight of the pipe off the muffler since I used hangers after the flex pipe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks