• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 Blazer "Thankful I'm alive"

Greencamogear

Hey everyone. Newbie. Looking for any info that might explain what happened. I bought an 84 Chevy Blazer CUCV from an auction. I was told it had sat inside a barn for about 10 years. When I received the cucv the tires looked brand new and were not dry rotted. They were BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO, stock wheels. All belts and hoses looked new. Not what I expected after the vehicle sitting in a barn for 10 years. A local mechanic checked everything out on the vehicle and determined it was road worthy and all systems were working from his inspection. Only 66,000 miles and was in pristine condition. A local fire chief has an 85 he restored for events and shows. He wanted to buy mine and was very excited about the condition it was in but I had just gotten it and planned to have it as a business vehicle to promote my military surplus sales for Green Camo Gear. Perfect cucv because it was all green camo! About a month after having the vehicle on April 16th of this year my friend and I were driving it to East Tennessee from San Antonio Texas and we had a 28' lightweight travel trailer attached to the bumper.
In the back of the travel trailer or my two adult dogs and two puppies. My friend was driving the Blazer and I was passenger. At approximately 9:00 p.m. that night we were on the highway in the second lane from the inside median when all of a sudden we were turned around backwards facing the wrong way on the highway and all I could do was scream over and over at the top of my lungs as an 18-wheeler was heading straight for us looking like it wasn't going to be able to stop from running us over. Apparently after attorneys looked at dash cam video from the 18-wheeler over and over, my friend driving had drifted into the left lane which was the fast lane into the path of an 18-wheeler loaded down with a full trailer. The drivers rear tire of the Blazer hit the front right tire of the 18 wheeler. The travel trailer jackknifed, became disconnected from the Blazer, and rolled over on its side at least one time sideways on IH 10. When the trailer became disconnected the Blazer caught air and went airborne then from what I understand it spun around after hitting the concrete median on the passenger side my side. All I remember was feeling the vehicle spinning around seeing the 18-wheeler thinking it's going to run over us and kill us and just the screaming and screaming and realized it was me screaming. I hit my head I believe on the door window and was knocked unconscious so I don't know everything except what I was told.
My door was jammed shut from hitting the concrete median the diesel engine was still running when I came to. I didn't know what happened and I tried to turn around and look for the travel trailer I noticed we were facing the wrong direction on the highway. And I couldn't get out of the Blazer. When I spotted the travel trailer on its side spread across all Lanes of the highway with traffic not stopping all I could think of was my babies my four dogs that were in the travel trailer. I had lost my shoes during the wreck I managed to get out of the passenger window dukes of Hazzard style and took off running barefoot through glass gas debris to get to the travel trailer to my dogs. When I got to the trailer I proceeded to bust out the largest window in the very back above the bumper with my bare hands at this point I didn't feel any pain I didn't care about any injuries I had or would have. I just cared about my babies. A father and daughter stopped to assist he gave me his cell phone with the flashlight on so I could see because it was dark there was broken plumbing in the travel trailer water spewing everywhere Raw sewage everywhere the walls inside the travel trailer were all collapsed in except for the very back wall to the bedroom which is where the dogs were when the 18-wheeler made contact with the travel trailer. I was screaming the dog's names over and over and what seemed like eternity I didn't receive a response a whimper nothing. I thought the dogs had died. I kept screaming for them and eventually the oldest dog managed to bark and then the other adult dog barked as well so I knew the two adults were alive. I ran through the travel trailer with all kinds of hazardous stuff on the floor which was actually the side and disoriented as to which way was up everything was wrong and I managed to climb on top of what was the shower stall to get to the two adult dogs who were thankfully alive and seem to be unhurt. I was crying I was frantically trying to find the two puppies and I still had no response from them. The daughter of the Good Samaritan was outside the roof of the travel trailer where I busted out the skylight by hand and started shoving the two adult dogs through a tiny skylight to get them out where the daughter took the dogs one by one to their vehicle There was no one on the scene yet just the father daughter myself the dogs and my friend who was driving who had not gotten out of the blazer yet. Seemed like eternity but must have only been a couple minutes later my friend was able to extract himself and make his way into the travel trailer to help me find the puppies. I was pulled out of the travel trailer bleeding glass in my hands my bare feet, my face I looked like something from a horror movie. My friend was able to locate the puppies who were buried underneath layers of debris mattress walls caved in plumbing but they were okay thank God. Eventually first responders showed up who stated we were lucky to be alive it was a very very bad wreck ck and we were both told we were in shock and that I had a concussion from being knocked out and hitting my head. The police eventually got the dogs all situated in police cruisers and the police started asking us what happened. My friend who was driving the first thing he said was I felt like I got pushed to the left. At the time I was looking at my phone at the weather for Louisiana because we were going that route. In between looking at my phone I had been looking at the side mirrors to make sure that we were okay no problems with the trailer being pulled behind us we were in our Lane everything was fine. 30 minutes before the accident we were in a parking lot double checking air pressure in the tires double checking everything lug nut tightness emergency chains on the travel trailer everything mirrors making sure you we didn't have any blind spots, just double checking everything before we got on the highway. As far as we knew there was nothing wrong with the Blazer or the travel trailer. Several months after the wreck it was determined that the driver of the blazer was at fault because he somehow drifted into the left lane in the way of the 18-wheeler who then hit us. My friends states he had no control over the vehicle it just went left like the hand of God had just shoved us to the left and he didn't know the 18-wheeler was even there because it was in a blind spot and I didn't see it in the mirror either when I had looked up to check. I asked the attorneys if it's possible another 18 wheeler went by us on the right hand side maybe there was a draft maybe we got pushed over from the draft or something into that lane but according to the footage from the 1 dash cam there was no other 18 wheeler anywhere around us or had passed us. There was nothing that would push us to the left. The driver and I had decided we were going to stay in the lane we were in before we started the trip. we were doing the speed limit we weren't going to change lanes because it was at least an eight Lane area where it split off into other highways and we were going to stay in our lane all the way through town. So there's no way the driver decidedly got over into the left lane. What I don't know is how that happened after having everything checked and gone through and the tires you know looking brand new and the vehicle is such great condition how could the vehicle have just gone to the left all of a sudden putting us right there in the path of the 18-wheeler that could have killed us. The travel trailer was rolled onto its side by the wrecker company it had to be strapped together because it was in pieces the Blazer amazingly only had the drivers rear tire that went flat the rest were still up as I said the engine was still running we had to turn it off the tailgate was mangled like somebody crumpled it up like a piece of paper the passenger side door where I was sitting had been severely pierced with some sharp object and the driver said at one point he thought he was going to be impaled by something and die.

I had a lot of inventory in the travel trailer I was taking up there to sell the Blazer was loaded down with a lot of my hand tools that I always carry. After the wreck the tools were all over the highway strewn for a long long way and I witnessed people stopping and picking up my tools and driving off with them. I managed to pick up what I could the firefighters did too we were throwing everything into the travel trailer which was on its side at the time thinking it might be okay not realizing that the entire thing had come apart. When it was flipped back over by the wrecker everything that we had put in there all went back onto the highway. All my inventory I had in the trailer was ruined from sewage and water and dirt and you name it not fit to be sold. And my haste and hurry to leave I didn't think about insurance, luckily my friend had covered the trailer and the Blazer under his liability coverage. My first grandchild a granddaughter was born in October last year and I hadn't gotten to see her yet so I was excited to be making this trip to finally get to meet her.
The tow bill and storage for the Blazer was $3,000 and the travel trailer I still owed a note on it of $24,000 and my insurance on it had lapsed. I had a massive stroke in September of last year which caused me to no longer be able to continue my business of tax returns and bookkeeping for individuals and businesses. I was surviving by selling military surplus and other items on ebay which I had just started doing when this wreck happened. I ended up losing the Blazer it got auctioned off because I couldn't pay the money for the tow and storage, the auction information results are apparently top secret. The travel trailer is still sitting at the tow yard as far as I know. I suffer neck and back injuries as a result of the accident with five herniated lumbar disc which will require a spinal fusion. I'm in pain pain daily and some days I can't get out of the bed. And I just turned 53 but feel 90.

I've heard some things and saw a write up by a general somewhere about tires on these vehicles and the dangers including rollover accidents and deaths. I have no idea if the tires on the Blazer at the time are included in that write up I can't even make out what size the tires were from the pictures.

My long emotional traumatic ordeal has severely impacted my life on a daily basis. I want everyone to be aware of how life can change in a split second and you don't see it coming. I'm very thankful for my life and very thankful that my dogs are alive and my friend. Since the accident my friend and I don't communicate anymore.

The most I can hopefully receive compensation for is $30,000, the max on the drivers liability insurance in Texas for bodily injury. According to his insurance he didn't have full coverage or collision so my blazer is a total loss and the travel trailer is a total loss and I'm not being compensated for either . My loan is still outstanding on the travel trailer which I still have to pay on. In addition all the tools I lost, the inventory I lost and the sales proceeds I would have had .
Sleepless nights because of recurring nightmares from the accident. The 18-wheeler company is coming after me for damages to their truck. There's nothing left for them to take at this point I laugh because how can I not. In a desperate attempt I thought I would reach out to everyone in the group and see if maybe anyone knows anything that might have caused this Blazer to drift over into the left lane and for it to happen so suddenly and forcefully and uncontrollable. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm not seeking a large lawsuit I know that's never going to happen I'm realistic about this it is what it is. But I'm wondering before I settle for 30,000 Max after all that's happened if there might be anything else plausible that possibly contributed to this horrible accident that pre existed, was unknown to me, or has previously been discussed in the group. This is my first public discussion of what happened and it's still very fresh and painful. My granddaughter turns 1-year-old this Saturday and my daughter hopes that I can make it there but at this point I just don't know. Since the accident I've had two other vehicles stolen from me that only had liability on and it's looking pretty hopeless. I have an 08 Tahoe with active fuel management that has a cylinder for misfire that cannot be fixed for whatever reason and I'd be willing to drive that 19 hours just to make it to my granddaughter's birthday but I don't even have enough gas money to do that. I'm not asking for handouts or help or pity or anything like that just know when you are having a bad day and you think it can't get any worse I hope that you'll remember my story and be thankful that you're not in my shoes. I had hoped to purchase another so your CV in the future but after my experience I just don't know if that's in my best interest

Thank you so much for reading this post I know it's long I know it's not easy to read. Thank you!

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You had a 28' travel trailer hooked to a CUCV Blazer? Sounds like you had too little tongue weight and that sets you up for exactly what happened, especially on a light weight short wheelbase truck like the Blazer. The trailer will start to sway and rip the truck's rear end loose and then you spin around.

Barrman

I agree about the wrong combination of tow vehicle and trailer. A M1009 is a very unstable towing vehicle.

How the tires look doesn’t matter. What was the build date on the tires? That is the most important thing to check on vehicles that have been sitting. However, a blown tire would not cause a slow drift out of your lane. It would be a sudden quick movement.

Very sorry to read about what happened and your financial loss associated with the accident.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the M1009 is rated to tow 1200lbs with a 100lb tongue weight.

Travel trailers are parachutes, much more unstable than smaller denser loads of higher weight.

A 28' travel trailer weighs more than 7000lbs.

I frequently tow a travel trailer (not with a CUCV). Every time a tractor trailer passes me it tries to pull me left. I expect it. For someone not expecting it, I can certainly see how it would cause an unintentional lane change and subsequent catastrophe.

The M1009 was overloaded by a factor of five or six, and operated by someone not anticipating the behavior of a large surface area trailer.

Nobody died. It was a cheap lesson. Let's spread the word far and wide so that as many as possible can learn from it.

sue

Hey everyone. Newbie. Looking for any info that might explain what happened. I bought an 84 Chevy Blazer CUCV from an auction. I was told it had sat inside a barn for about 10 years. When I received the cucv the tires looked brand new and were not dry rotted. They were BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO, stock wheels. All belts and hoses looked new. Not what I expected after the vehicle sitting in a barn for 10 years. A local mechanic checked everything out on the vehicle and determined it was road worthy and all systems were working from his inspection. Only 66,000 miles and was in pristine condition. A local fire chief has an 85 he restored for events and shows. He wanted to buy mine and was very excited about the condition it was in but I had just gotten it and planned to have it as a business vehicle to promote my military surplus sales for Green Camo Gear. Perfect cucv because it was all green camo! About a month after having the vehicle on April 16th of this year my friend and I were driving it to East Tennessee from San Antonio Texas and we had a 28' lightweight travel trailer attached to the bumper.
In the back of the travel trailer or my two adult dogs and two puppies. My friend was driving the Blazer and I was passenger. At approximately 9:00 p.m. that night we were on the highway in the second lane from the inside median when all of a sudden we were turned around backwards facing the wrong way on the highway and all I could do was scream over and over at the top of my lungs as an 18-wheeler was heading straight for us looking like it wasn't going to be able to stop from running us over. Apparently after attorneys looked at dash cam video from the 18-wheeler over and over, my friend driving had drifted into the left lane which was the fast lane into the path of an 18-wheeler loaded down with a full trailer. The drivers rear tire of the Blazer hit the front right tire of the 18 wheeler. The travel trailer jackknifed, became disconnected from the Blazer, and rolled over on its side at least one time sideways on IH 10. When the trailer became disconnected the Blazer caught air and went airborne then from what I understand it spun around after hitting the concrete median on the passenger side my side. All I remember was feeling the vehicle spinning around seeing the 18-wheeler thinking it's going to run over us and kill us and just the screaming and screaming and realized it was me screaming. I hit my head I believe on the door window and was knocked unconscious so I don't know everything except what I was told.
My door was jammed shut from hitting the concrete median the diesel engine was still running when I came to. I didn't know what happened and I tried to turn around and look for the travel trailer I noticed we were facing the wrong direction on the highway. And I couldn't get out of the Blazer. When I spotted the travel trailer on its side spread across all Lanes of the highway with traffic not stopping all I could think of was my babies my four dogs that were in the travel trailer. I had lost my shoes during the wreck I managed to get out of the passenger window dukes of Hazzard style and took off running barefoot through glass gas debris to get to the travel trailer to my dogs. When I got to the trailer I proceeded to bust out the largest window in the very back above the bumper with my bare hands at this point I didn't feel any pain I didn't care about any injuries I had or would have. I just cared about my babies. A father and daughter stopped to assist he gave me his cell phone with the flashlight on so I could see because it was dark there was broken plumbing in the travel trailer water spewing everywhere Raw sewage everywhere the walls inside the travel trailer were all collapsed in except for the very back wall to the bedroom which is where the dogs were when the 18-wheeler made contact with the travel trailer. I was screaming the dog's names over and over and what seemed like eternity I didn't receive a response a whimper nothing. I thought the dogs had died. I kept screaming for them and eventually the oldest dog managed to bark and then the other adult dog barked as well so I knew the two adults were alive. I ran through the travel trailer with all kinds of hazardous stuff on the floor which was actually the side and disoriented as to which way was up everything was wrong and I managed to climb on top of what was the shower stall to get to the two adult dogs who were thankfully alive and seem to be unhurt. I was crying I was frantically trying to find the two puppies and I still had no response from them. The daughter of the Good Samaritan was outside the roof of the travel trailer where I busted out the skylight by hand and started shoving the two adult dogs through a tiny skylight to get them out where the daughter took the dogs one by one to their vehicle There was no one on the scene yet just the father daughter myself the dogs and my friend who was driving who had not gotten out of the blazer yet. Seemed like eternity but must have only been a couple minutes later my friend was able to extract himself and make his way into the travel trailer to help me find the puppies. I was pulled out of the travel trailer bleeding glass in my hands my bare feet, my face I looked like something from a horror movie. My friend was able to locate the puppies who were buried underneath layers of debris mattress walls caved in plumbing but they were okay thank God. Eventually first responders showed up who stated we were lucky to be alive it was a very very bad wreck ck and we were both told we were in shock and that I had a concussion from being knocked out and hitting my head. The police eventually got the dogs all situated in police cruisers and the police started asking us what happened. My friend who was driving the first thing he said was I felt like I got pushed to the left. At the time I was looking at my phone at the weather for Louisiana because we were going that route. In between looking at my phone I had been looking at the side mirrors to make sure that we were okay no problems with the trailer being pulled behind us we were in our Lane everything was fine. 30 minutes before the accident we were in a parking lot double checking air pressure in the tires double checking everything lug nut tightness emergency chains on the travel trailer everything mirrors making sure you we didn't have any blind spots, just double checking everything before we got on the highway. As far as we knew there was nothing wrong with the Blazer or the travel trailer. Several months after the wreck it was determined that the driver of the blazer was at fault because he somehow drifted into the left lane in the way of the 18-wheeler who then hit us. My friends states he had no control over the vehicle it just went left like the hand of God had just shoved us to the left and he didn't know the 18-wheeler was even there because it was in a blind spot and I didn't see it in the mirror either when I had looked up to check. I asked the attorneys if it's possible another 18 wheeler went by us on the right hand side maybe there was a draft maybe we got pushed over from the draft or something into that lane but according to the footage from the 1 dash cam there was no other 18 wheeler anywhere around us or had passed us. There was nothing that would push us to the left. The driver and I had decided we were going to stay in the lane we were in before we started the trip. we were doing the speed limit we weren't going to change lanes because it was at least an eight Lane area where it split off into other highways and we were going to stay in our lane all the way through town. So there's no way the driver decidedly got over into the left lane. What I don't know is how that happened after having everything checked and gone through and the tires you know looking brand new and the vehicle is such great condition how could the vehicle have just gone to the left all of a sudden putting us right there in the path of the 18-wheeler that could have killed us. The travel trailer was rolled onto its side by the wrecker company it had to be strapped together because it was in pieces the Blazer amazingly only had the drivers rear tire that went flat the rest were still up as I said the engine was still running we had to turn it off the tailgate was mangled like somebody crumpled it up like a piece of paper the passenger side door where I was sitting had been severely pierced with some sharp object and the driver said at one point he thought he was going to be impaled by something and die.

I had a lot of inventory in the travel trailer I was taking up there to sell the Blazer was loaded down with a lot of my hand tools that I always carry. After the wreck the tools were all over the highway strewn for a long long way and I witnessed people stopping and picking up my tools and driving off with them. I managed to pick up what I could the firefighters did too we were throwing everything into the travel trailer which was on its side at the time thinking it might be okay not realizing that the entire thing had come apart. When it was flipped back over by the wrecker everything that we had put in there all went back onto the highway. All my inventory I had in the trailer was ruined from sewage and water and dirt and you name it not fit to be sold. And my haste and hurry to leave I didn't think about insurance, luckily my friend had covered the trailer and the Blazer under his liability coverage. My first grandchild a granddaughter was born in October last year and I hadn't gotten to see her yet so I was excited to be making this trip to finally get to meet her.
The tow bill and storage for the Blazer was $3,000 and the travel trailer I still owed a note on it of $24,000 and my insurance on it had lapsed. I had a massive stroke in September of last year which caused me to no longer be able to continue my business of tax returns and bookkeeping for individuals and businesses. I was surviving by selling military surplus and other items on ebay which I had just started doing when this wreck happened. I ended up losing the Blazer it got auctioned off because I couldn't pay the money for the tow and storage, the auction information results are apparently top secret. The travel trailer is still sitting at the tow yard as far as I know. I suffer neck and back injuries as a result of the accident with five herniated lumbar disc which will require a spinal fusion. I'm in pain pain daily and some days I can't get out of the bed. And I just turned 53 but feel 90.

I've heard some things and saw a write up by a general somewhere about tires on these vehicles and the dangers including rollover accidents and deaths. I have no idea if the tires on the Blazer at the time are included in that write up I can't even make out what size the tires were from the pictures.

My long emotional traumatic ordeal has severely impacted my life on a daily basis. I want everyone to be aware of how life can change in a split second and you don't see it coming. I'm very thankful for my life and very thankful that my dogs are alive and my friend. Since the accident my friend and I don't communicate anymore.

The most I can hopefully receive compensation for is $30,000, the max on the drivers liability insurance in Texas for bodily injury. According to his insurance he didn't have full coverage or collision so my blazer is a total loss and the travel trailer is a total loss and I'm not being compensated for either . My loan is still outstanding on the travel trailer which I still have to pay on. In addition all the tools I lost, the inventory I lost and the sales proceeds I would have had .
Sleepless nights because of recurring nightmares from the accident. The 18-wheeler company is coming after me for damages to their truck. There's nothing left for them to take at this point I laugh because how can I not. In a desperate attempt I thought I would reach out to everyone in the group and see if maybe anyone knows anything that might have caused this Blazer to drift over into the left lane and for it to happen so suddenly and forcefully and uncontrollable. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm not seeking a large lawsuit I know that's never going to happen I'm realistic about this it is what it is. But I'm wondering before I settle for 30,000 Max after all that's happened if there might be anything else plausible that possibly contributed to this horrible accident that pre existed, was unknown to me, or has previously been discussed in the group. This is my first public discussion of what happened and it's still very fresh and painful. My granddaughter turns 1-year-old this Saturday and my daughter hopes that I can make it there but at this point I just don't know. Since the accident I've had two other vehicles stolen from me that only had liability on and it's looking pretty hopeless. I have an 08 Tahoe with active fuel management that has a cylinder for misfire that cannot be fixed for whatever reason and I'd be willing to drive that 19 hours just to make it to my granddaughter's birthday but I don't even have enough gas money to do that. I'm not asking for handouts or help or pity or anything like that just know when you are having a bad day and you think it can't get any worse I hope that you'll remember my story and be thankful that you're not in my shoes. I had hoped to purchase another so your CV in the future but after my experience I just don't know if that's in my best interest

Thank you so much for reading this post I know it's long I know it's not easy to read. Thank you!
Well I assume you have communicated with and attorney and I am not an attorney
in an way. But….if the storage yard auctioned if for more than your bill, you are
supposed to receive any overage. Yes to big of a trailer and hopefully it was loaded
correctly ( weight distribution)
and also I have had to explain to family members and friends that had a incident, you can “ stack “ your auto insurance coverage. Again communicate with an attorney.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks