86’ M1009 looking to add turbo and trans swap advice please

86m10092k21

I am relatively new to the diesel world and looking for some advice or affirmation on what I am trying to add.

My idea and research has pointed me to add a 63mm inter cooled turbo and a 4L80E transmission in order to be a high way vehicle. Adding the 4L80E I need some computer module and that’s where I’m lost.

I would appreciate any advice in this process or tell me I’m going the wrong route and what has worked for you. Any advice is appreciated!

reloader64

Welcome to the MV world.
If your M1009 has the original 3.08 gear ratio, you should be able to go 70 mph-eventually. If you really want to pep it up, find a factory turbo setup from a 6.5 liter engine. With a manual boost control, and a little more fuel, it becomes very driveable. As far as a transmission, unless you're planning to run huge tires, or otherwise really stress the vehicle, a non-computer TH700-R4 will work perfectly, and doesn't require a controller. It's basically a bolt-on.

Scott

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks