• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1028 on the way

dc9137

86 M1028 is here!

And so it begins...the shipper picked up my 1028 this morning up in MN. The video showed it running but they couldn't get it to start this morning. They tried to jump it with no luck either. I'm guessing the batteries are totally drained sitting up there in the cold and who knows if the slave works.

First thing will be to pull the batteries and charge them up to see if they'll hold a charge. Hopefully I can get her running without too much trouble. Then on to the fluids...

Pics and details to follow.

Last edited:

dc9137

It's heeeere...even came with some Minnesota snow. It was shipped in an enclosed trailer so he had to flip the topper over so it would fit. It also looks like I've had some help naming it too...

photo (6).JPGphoto (7).JPGphoto (8).JPG

I've taken a quick look and have noticed a few things.

The "Good"
  • The engine and compartment looks pretty good. There are some new coolant hoses and everything looks to be in generally good condition.
photo (9).JPG

• There is a new dash pad. It's grey, but looks to be in really good shape.
photo (10).JPG

• It appears to have a bock heater installed
  • Only 30k on the clock
The "Bad"
  • Batteries are completely dead. They've been sitting in the Minnesota cold so hopefully they'll still hold a charge.
  • There's a big hole in the seat. I'll eventually look to replace them anyway so not a huge deal.
The "Ugly"
  • There's way more rust than I expected. I'm guessing it will be even worse the more I look. Not happy about that.
photo (11).JPGphoto (13).JPGphoto (12).JPG

From this point forward it will be known as "Bob"

hwcurtice

Looks like typical rust for that era truck. Could be worse. Get them batteries charged and let's hear it roar!

Better think fresh fuel and filters too...

Still, nice looking truck.

dc9137

Looks like typical rust for that era truck. Could be worse. Get them batteries charged and let's hear it roar!

Better think fresh fuel and filters too...

Still, nice looking truck.
Thanks...It says there's half a tank of fuel on the gauge. Would additive and running it be OK or would I be better off to drain the tank?

Here's the plans in my head as of now.

• Charge batteries (Hopefully it will start. If not, troubleshooting)
  • Change all fluids and relevant gaskets. Also any seals, hoses, etc that I can
  • Clean and update electrical system (Doghead mod, 12v glow plug mod, wiring harness)

Hopefully it will be in decent running order by then and I can start with more of the optional stuff. I'm thinking a spin on fuel filter might be worthwhile and change the harmonic balancer as well. I'll have to figure out what to do about the rust too. I'm not really equipped to fix on my own.

I've got a whole list of fun stuff I'd like to do over the coming years...lift, 35's, disc brakes, new seats, nv4500, 205, turbo. But all that is a dream for now. :)

dc9137

I took the batteries in to get tested and they were shot so I picked up 2 Energizer group 31 950 CCA for $109 each. Put them in and it fired right up! I also changed the oil and cleaned up the battery trays and fender wells from the 1009 so I can install them tomorrow.

None of the lights work and neither does the horn. I have some time off over the holidays so I'm going to dig into the electrical system a bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks