• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'86 M998 Humvee issue with headlights and turnsignals

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put LEDs in the dash. Big improvement. Went to put one in the turn switch indicator...it doesn't work there. Tried three different styles of bulb...no go.
Im starting to think that because its wired in such a way that its on when the flasher switches to off and consequently doesn't have the correct polarity for an LED bulb there.
I would like the bright LED to remind me its still on in the daytime, but its still incandescent at the moment.
Response to old post for future readers.

The flasher unit LED is wired “backwards” so you need LED lights that have correct polarity.

Mine now works great on my 1987 M1025

98Non-Turbo

I replaced the bulb in my turn signal switch with a special LED from trucklite. It fixed the issue and took about 2 minutes.

Do a web search for the bulb, it's number is:

L1080-ND 24

A couple of sites sell them. I hope this helps.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

98Non-Turbo

FYI, 'those military guys' have an affordable flasher unit to fix this issue also.

1998 M1123 no turbo, Harriman, Tennessee

Just1More

First I did a search, I found lots on turn signals but did not find any on my issue. So here it is...
I have LED lights all the way around and an LED bulb in the turn signal switch.
Turn signals work good until I turn on headlights, then no more turn signals. Headlights on, turn signals not working. So what I've done so far....
Tried with 3 lever and push button light control switches, no change. Tried 2 turn signal switches, no change.
Tried 2 mechanical and 3 solid state flasher units, no change. Tried 3 different LED bulbs in turn signal switch, no change. I must be missing something but what ?
Any ideas ?
Any conclusion? Tried sending you a message but I guess I'm too new. Having the same problem

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found with mine I have leds in the rear (bulb replacement to leds) and incandescent bulbs up front was the only way to get mine to work properly. Flasher would not work with all leds unfortunately.

Mark

Just1More

I found with mine I have leds in the rear (bulb replacement to leds) and incandescent bulbs up front was the only way to get mine to work properly. Flasher would not work with all leds unfortunately.

Mark
Try putting a LED bulb in your turn signal switch itself. It's a T3 type, or BA9S I think.

I think I figured out my problem to be aftermarket front LED housings, they don't have a high and low beam so the running lights just stay solid no matter how they're hooked up.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My turn signal switch is the newer LED type. Maybe I should try the older steering wheel turn signal switch as I would prefer LED all around.

Mark

cahilj

24v adjustable rate LED flasher and whatever Amphenol connector it is (I wrote it down somewhere). I put it all in a cheap waterproof project box roughly the same size as the Nartron flasher (and that fit under the dash where it should). I think I've got about $30-40 into it. If it fails, I just replace the cheap spade terminal flasher at $15 instead of $60+. I did this after trying the 5945-00-789-3706 flasher and the LED switch bulb, neither of which worked.
20230828_165613.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks