• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9yr lurker, first time poster

All,

Joined 9yrs ago when looking for an M35 but never ended up pulling the trigger after reading through so much knowledge/advice on here, then self-evaluating my skills, knowledge, and garage at the time.

Have periodically perused classifieds/auctions/FB marketplace and an M1083 FMTV recently caught my eye. Hoping it is still for sale, but it is not a "need", just a heavy want.

I'm an active duty USAF aviator, about 14yrs in, with a passion for "overlanding" (whatever that means), woodworking, reloading, and shooting.

My purpose in buying the truck would be to take 7-10day long trips a few times a year across the USA and Canada, similar to what I do in my diesel Colorado, eventually leading up to my dream military retirement trip:

NC-> California Redwoods -> Denali National Park, Alaska (with many stops along the way, of course).​
Anyway, want to thank the community as a whole for the knowledge on here. It is vast, and always starts with the same great advice: RTFM, or RTF[T]M I suppose.

For Liberty,
ID (Old username, I wonder if I could have an admin change it...)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
All,

Joined 9yrs ago when looking for an M35 but never ended up pulling the trigger after reading through so much knowledge/advice on here, then self-evaluating my skills, knowledge, and garage at the time.

Have periodically perused classifieds/auctions/FB marketplace and an M1083 FMTV recently caught my eye. Hoping it is still for sale, but it is not a "need", just a heavy want.

I'm an active duty USAF aviator, about 14yrs in, with a passion for "overlanding" (whatever that means), woodworking, reloading, and shooting.

My purpose in buying the truck would be to take 7-10day long trips a few times a year across the USA and Canada, similar to what I do in my diesel Colorado, eventually leading up to my dream military retirement trip:

NC-> California Redwoods -> Denali National Park, Alaska (with many stops along the way, of course).​
Anyway, want to thank the community as a whole for the knowledge on here. It is vast, and always starts with the same great advice: RTFM, or RTF[T]M I suppose.

For Liberty,
ID (Old username, I wonder if I could have an admin change it...)
Welcome to the Outfit!

Sounds like you could have a heck of a nice trip. Guessing that you have already smoked over the TM's for the M-1083? And you might spend a year or maybe more to give that truck (or any other) a good inspection. Replacing the rubber under the hood, replacing the cab supports, and a lot of other things as well...

Welcome to the group...

Welcome to the Outfit!

Sounds like you could have a heck of a nice trip. Guessing that you have already smoked over the TM's for the M-1083? And you might spend a year or maybe more to give that truck (or any other) a good inspection. Replacing the rubber under the hood, replacing the cab supports, and a lot of other things as well...

Welcome to the group...

I have been perusing the TMs. Pretty straight forward architecture to them... similar but different than our aircraft pubs.

I honestly planned to start seriously looking for a truck around 2026 to give myself ~3yrs to repair/replace, familiarize, build, and take shorter trips prior to that long trip. For me, seeing/stalking ads for awhile before purchasing a project vehicle lets me familiarize with common "we gave up, here have this problem" wording. But then I found that really great FB ad and hoping they respond that it's still available.... it has the classic "If the listing is still up, it is still available" banner in all caps at the top but who knows :LOL:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have been perusing the TMs. Pretty straight forward architecture to them... similar but different than our aircraft pubs.

I honestly planned to start seriously looking for a truck around 2026 to give myself ~3yrs to repair/replace, familiarize, build, and take shorter trips prior to that long trip. For me, seeing/stalking ads for awhile before purchasing a project vehicle lets me familiarize with common "we gave up, here have this problem" wording. But then I found that really great FB ad and hoping they respond that it's still available.... it has the classic "If the listing is still up, it is still available" banner in all caps at the top but who knows :LOL:
That sounds pretty promising... Heck yeah!

Well, didn't work out. Despite the giant DO NOT ASK IF IT'S STILL AVAILABLE, IF LISTING IS UP, IT IS AVAILABLE across the top, the item was removed as soon as my message was received.

Bummed, but I'll keep looking. Maybe a "Want to buy M1083" ad on here will have some success

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome (back?) to the forum, and the madness. Searching for "the right one" is much like fishing. Much patience is required. A wanted ad in the classifieds here could help, and won't hurt. I've noticed that a lot of MVs show up in private sales around Jan/Feb, when a lot of folks get their income tax return. You're in a good part of the country for looking, lot of MV owners up your way. Good luck to you!

Welcome (back?) to the forum, and the madness. Searching for "the right one" is much like fishing. Much patience is required. A wanted ad in the classifieds here could help, and won't hurt. I've noticed that a lot of MVs show up in private sales around Jan/Feb, when a lot of folks get their income tax return. You're in a good part of the country for looking, lot of MV owners up your way. Good luck to you!
Thanks for the well wishes and luck. Definitely disappointed in the other one being unavailable, but I do have a few years to find the right one. Great fishing analogy, and I'll be sure to keep an eye out in Jan/Feb.

Hm... trying to start a conversation with someone (with 10 posts, per rules) and getting a notification to start a conversation with Patracy, so I guess I'll have to bother them.

@patracy, is there a new threshold for starting conversations that I missed in the rules ?

Edit: 15 posts and could send a message ! Woohoo, real-forum-boy !

Last edited:

HDN

Hi there and welcome! I hope you find the truck you're looking for. I have a collection of TMs for that reason :ROFLMAO:

You mentioned you're a USAF aviator - can you share what aircraft you're involved with? When I was in high school I seriously considered joining the Air Force after graduating with the hope of becoming a pilot. Engineering school ended up winning the career contest. I still flight sim for a hobby and want to get an airplane someday...

Hi there and welcome! I hope you find the truck you're looking for. I have a collection of TMs for that reason :ROFLMAO:

You mentioned you're a USAF aviator - can you share what aircraft you're involved with? When I was in high school I seriously considered joining the Air Force after graduating with the hope of becoming a pilot. Engineering school ended up winning the career contest. I still flight sim for a hobby and want to get an airplane someday...
Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not a pilot ! Without going into too many details: I'm an enlisted back end guy on ISR aircraft, although my interest/hobbies in radios, CAD, and electricity have put me in an R&D spot that I am woefully under qualified for (haha). I used to fly privately before joining and the views are better from the cockpit for sure. Maybe you could look into a local Civil Air Patrol squadron and get back into aviation that way ?

Also, no BS, I've watched some of your videos on scaling models in Fusion360. The thumbnails with the trucks on them got me to bite, even with a small viewcount (plus I like supporting smaller channels). Most of my Fusion360 designs are frames using extruded aluminum, or plates to be laser cut, but there are some wooden flags I've CNC'd for friends/people leaving my units. Really valuable, but perishable, skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, @fuzzytoaster responded to my "wanted" ad with an M1078A1, so I flew out to Dallas to take a look. Truck looks like the mostly-running-project truck I was looking for; has a couple of air leaks and some gremlins. Hoping to work those out in the next couple days, and then drive it 1200mi from TX to NC !

Fuzzytoaster is a great dude.

The truck deflates the tires after being turned off, but stops when battery is removed. Also stops when I jumper the CTIS control solenoid/inflate pin. When it deflates on its own, it makes the same sound as jumpering to the CTIS deflate pin... Found this thread without OP resolution, but going to give what Ronmar recommended a try:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks