• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A BETTER WisDOT proposal - Please Look!

dittle

"Remember, this stuff is going to be read and interpreted by lawyers, and judges... Not by reasonable people."

Amen to that Chuck

wesk

Chuck hit the nail on the head. I also could find no reference in either of the bills to allow for normal civilian type registration of MV's so they can be used legally as daily drivers and recreational use. Both bills only allow for Historic Vehicle registration with the stated restrictions. One should not believe for one moment that a M37 can be loaded with 1000 pounds of firewood and driven from the woods to the house with that load while wearing the blue collector plate without being susceptable to a ticket from a sharp policeman who can figure out you don't haul a load of firewood to a parade or MV show and you don't haul a load of firewood to get maintenance done on the vehicle. I also notice the earlier bill (Erpenbach's) seems more restrictively worded than the more recent bill.

There are hundreds of MV from 1941 on that have been registered for anywhere from 10 years to 40 years that carry standard plates and only had to meet the currecnt federal highway standards in effect when they were built. In my opinion this system works perfectly fine for me. It seems the problem that instigated this current debacle is desire to license APC's and similar vehicles and the addition of legislation to reduce registration costs by creating a home for the MV's in the Classic Car plate rule. I have no problem with licensing Pinzgauers to operate on the highway with certain restrictions but I do have a problem with a bill that removes all the other MV's from the standard registration classes into the Classic Car class with it's operating restrictions.

I think both Bill pushers have simply opened pandora's box and now we will all feel the wrath of the Wisconsin DMV.

Last edited:

stumps

I shudder to even get into the meaning of "accurate" in this bill. For instance, if the truck was originally marked C91, and you marked it D91, I think by most standards that would be considered inaccurate.

How about if your truck was painted in CARC woodland camo, and you repainted it pre Vietnam semigloss OD? In my mind, that would not be accurate to the way the truck was when it was in military use.

In both cases, the world would survive, most folks wouldn't even know the difference... but some overzealous DMV guy with a vendetta towards MV's could pull your ticket over just such a thing. You did not accurately represent the military design and markings.

That's what happens when government tries to play show judge with its laws. It opens a big old squirmy can of worms.

Table the bill, you must do better!

-Chuck

poof

Dirty Hippie
HOLY MOLY....
you need to return to the corner and Punch the clown some more.....
by your explanation.. the designers have made it impossable to comply with the Law... if you put the Lisence plate on, its out of code..( Not maintained to accurately represent ) if you dont, You cant drive it on the road.
stick to trees man...
J.P.

stumps

HOLY MOLY....
you need to return to the corner and Punch the clown some more.....
by your explanation.. the designers have made it impossable to comply with the Law... if you put the Lisence plate on, its out of code..( Not maintained to accurately represent ) if you dont, You cant drive it on the road.
stick to trees man...
J.P.
Hey Poof! I didn't write this bill, one of your representatives did, so don't blame me for what it says.

Did you actually take the time to read it?

I have seen enough poorly written laws get interpreted in ways the authors didn't intend to ever believe that the this poorly written bill won't get mangled in its enactment. Remember, it is your motor vehicle department that wants to ban all MV's from registration in Wisconsin. What makes you think they will suddenly stop trying after this bill becomes law? Especially if you leave them a hole the size of a barn door to work with.

You need to first work on the real problem, and that is getting an exeception for MV's that requires compliance only with the DOT rules in place when the MV model (eg. M35A2, M151, ...) was accepted by the government... not the date of manufacture. After you get that done, then work on cheap collector tags for the re-enactment guys.

Don't go into this project assuming that everyone wants to play soldier with their MV's.

-Chuck

skinnedknuckles

Has anyone heard more on this proposal:?: With the public hearing coming up on the VERY limited useage of green iron , I am wondering which way to support this mess:roll:. I am on the current notification list thru my senator but no word yet.
Paul in Janesville, Wis.
1945 CJ2a
1946 BTC3
1953 m37
1955 CJ5
1961 m37b
1968 m105a2
m105a2 carpenter trailer
1971 m35a2 6x6 wo/w
1971 m35a2 4x4 w/w
mvpa
mvpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks