• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A different set of wheels...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, the KUDOS for this go to RANDY BARNES.

He came over to my place yesterday and showed me a wheel/tire combo. It is a six lug (on 9" centers - same as deuce wheel) that is 22.5" height. I believe that it's 7" wide wheel.

It's a 22.5" 6 lug 'BUD' wheel. It was used on older International trucks (occasionally) and older Ford trucks as well. One of the local big truck wrecking yards has a set of eight I'm going to purchase here in the next few days.

These may have also been used on a Rockwood RV. Here is a link discussing the Rockwood RV with 6 lug 22.5" wheel. This particular wheel appear to be made by Alcoa.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16154382/gotomsg/16154911.cfm

This wheel is for a tubeless tires. AND it does NOT have any kind of split ring (or whatever the correct term is for the spring loaded ring). Then I will need to purchase a set of tires. Then pull the rear axle hubs and reverse the hubs. I will only run six tires instead of ten. I will keep you informed.

THANK YOU RANDY BARNES.

Trango

Hi Jim,

Sweet. I was casually looking for those wheels as well on Friday.

Hey, just for the record, it's 6 on 8.75", not 9". Not a big thing, but if you're going to outlay the cash, better to be 100% sure. I don't even think they offer a 6 on 9" bolt pattern, but just if you're asking for 6 hole budd wheels like that, it's always better to use correct measurements.

Bob

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob,
Thanks. According the to guy I spoke with, he said he could get more. I told him there were four of us in the 'greater Metro area' that would probably want a set. I told him to let me talk to you, Robert and Randy and I would get back with him.

I'm going to pick up a set of eight. He says he had four more right now and can get more.

So, if you want a set, let me know. An email is OK also. jim

OH, and NOW I'm gonna have to go remeasure the centers. I guess I just wasn't paying close enough attention. Thx for that heads up.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PICTURES! I WANT PICTURES! What type of tires did you go with? Randy had a mud/snow type of tire on the one he showed us.

I'm trying to decide what type of rubber now that I've found the tires.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
denisek5935,
Just in case no one else said it, WELCOME...

Actually, I'm cheap. And I don't want the lock rings (split rings or whatever they are called), given it's dangerous to fix a flat without a 'cage'. So that means that I can't fix a flat or have it fixed when I'm on the road (not many folks these days run this type of wheel).

I will have the tools necessary to change the tire over to a spare. But the ability to fix a flat on the road is a plus.

The 'super single' look is kind of just a side plus, as it were. Granted, I will have to flip the rear hubs, but other than that, everyone I've spoken to that has only two wheels per axle instead of four says there are numerous pluses. Including easier turning. Less rotating mass, means better mpg (not by much). And there's the fixing the flats.

Being somewhat cheap, in the long run, having to purchase only eight tires (two spares) instead of twelve (two spares) saves money as well. Now all I've got to do is figure out WHICH tire to mount and I'll be on my way.

Again, welcome denisek5935.

Elwenil

Ahhh, but the whole point of the split rim is that you, with proper tools, can change a tire on the rim just about anywhere in the field. Granted they are dangerous, but it can be done and I believe that is the reason the military uses split rims.

Trango

Jim,

No pictures yet, sorry. I'm still waiting to find some cheap steers and throw those on. Can't REALLY put recaps in the front, and new 315/80r22.5 steers are really expensive. I have a bunch of tire guys I know looking for me for a pair of takeoff steers with like 5000 miles left or something...

Big tires on the rear axles are great for higher speeds, but by keeping 9r22.5's up front, it messed up my caster and the thing is a deathmachine above 45 ish... I need those bigger fronts.

Bob

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I LIKEY! And the girl needs a new set of shoes...

I have contacted the seller and he is in my area. I'll let you folks know.

So I could score a set of four wheels and tires and then go get another set of four wheels and just add the same retreaded tires and I'd have the first set.

That would leave an additonal eight wheels and I could have the second set. I know, I'm odd.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter

rdixiemiller

I don't mind lock rings. Any decent truck stop can handle the lock rings, since trailers in intermodal service still run 10:00x20 lock ring wheels. I would carry an extra tube if you run 11:00R20's, they are not always that common in truck stops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks