• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Fabulous Weekend

dmetalmiki

Early last month I append to notice a sign on a gate "Railway Museum" with a signal outside. I had seen this notice a few times but had payed no heed. Until last week, I called in and got a real surprise, Here,s the retired farmer with his own railway setup! Full working railway with running stock, diesel and steam. So We talk some, and he say's he's seen my collection down the road. I ask him "how about we stage a show for the public attending your museum?" . He is seriously interested so off I go to drum up friends with thing military, Mobile army kitchen, food..BEERZ!
We had everything ferried on site by 8pm Friday night, The weather was perfect, We also had a few friends with classic cars in another field as well.
Much relaxing to WW11 music..and the food was excellent as was the liquid stuff.
We stayed over Saturday night returning home Sunday in relays. I store my stuff only 3 miles from this museum, So, We will be having other displays on this site in future. We had a train ride the length of his fields, some 1 1/2 miles of track. A signal box complete, and two station platforms.
P.S. On Saturday evening we convoyed through the local village, We were told later we could be heard 3 miles away!.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

I had chosen the caboose the engine and rolling stock as a great backdrop for our display. Everything on his site "rolls" and or works, other than the huge amount of stock he had in workshops and barns. Truly an amazing collection, rail laying and construction work over some 30 years. The caboose took him 4 years to acquire and ship over from Canada.

Attachments

oboyjohn

That Caboose or "van" was built only 45 kilometers from my house at the Angus yards in Montreal East. The massive yard is long gone, turned into a condo and shopping complex. One of the shops still exists as part of the shopping complex. You can still see the steel support beams that carried the overhead cranes for that shop. During WW2, the shop also produced the Valentine tank. One of these tanks was dug up out of a swamp in Russia about 10 years ago.

Montreal-train-factory7.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
All I can say is WOW!!!

That's quite an impressive collection of railroad stuff complimented by some excellent MV's.:beer::goodjob:

I suspect the Gamma Goat is the reason you could be heard coming 3 miles away!!:whistle:

dmetalmiki

Actually the Nois/ES! came from the wrecker (shoeme 17 tone) carson (7 tones) Fire chief horn: Fire truck, Siren, whelen, Fire chief horn also: Gamma goat Engine and whelen! And of course all those screaming "C" turbos. Everyone was well impressed and waved and cheered encouragement to us. Actually We had had a request to Park up a couple of trucks for the local round table and support the "armed Forces Day" event, (Saturday evening) which I supplied the wrecker and fire truck for. Hence the requests to "make noise" and lights going there and coming back. My friend who took the M45 said he had never driven a deuce as responsive or as quick as my fire truck, and could not thank me enough for me having let him drive it, All in all a rewarding "event". all round.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You have to be a serious collector to move a caboose across the big pond.

Tell me again why we don't need a railroad thread on this site.

If I got over the pond you are on my short list of people to see. Got a spare bunk?

dmetalmiki

Bunks we have a plenty!..all (and any) visitors most welcome(ed). We have friends from the past war and peace shows that visit for.."weekend" barbeques! ( N' Beers) from Poland, Holland, Germany, Hopefully we are to have a visit from two steel soldiers members this year. Good times.

dmetalmiki

You have to be a serious collector to move a caboose across the big pond.

Tell me again why we don't need a railroad thread on this site.

If I got over the pond you are on my short list of people to see. Got a spare bunk?
Secont that recommendation, Quite a few events we attend are held at railway locations.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be an AMAZING weekend!! Congrats on the support and friendship of the local population! Most of the locals here only remember me when they are stuck or broke down "off road" LOL!! THANKS for sharing!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks