• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few battery and electrical diagrams

mcne2026

My 1985 M1009 is in Idaho and has been sitting all winter. Has not been started since November and has been completely buried, to the roof line, in snow for a while. It was a much worse winter than expected and I have not been up to the cabin to do anything about it. I am going up in a few weeks and need to work out some known issues.

1. It needs new batteries. Anyone run Odyssey? I would like to try and go with Odyssey because I can get them for less than 1/2 price. What are the specs I need to order new batteries? What "type" "cca" top or side or both terminals and does anyone have the dimensions?

2. Does anyone have a chart of the fuse panel? I was blowing a lot of fuses and I think someone put the wrong size in some of the slots. I would like to get a diagram that shows required size in each position and what the fuse controls.

3. Battery charger. I want to add a solar charger / conditioner for when I am gone. Can I use a normal 12v charger / conditioner or do I need something specific for 24v? If I can use 12v, what battery should I attach the + and - to? The battery closes to the front of the truck or closest to the cab?

4. I blow the headlight fuse constantly and I know my blackout lights have an issue. Everytime I flip the blackout light switch, it blows the headlight fuse. It also blows it for no apparent reason some of the time. Feels like a bad ground issue somewhere. Since I do not need any blackout lights, what is the easiest way to disconnect them, closer to the fuse than the light itself?

I am no electrical expert and never have much time to work on it when I am at the cabin. But, I would really like to work out these issues. I just purchased a '95 H1 Wagon and might sell the CUCV this summer to help replenish the savings account the H1 kinda drained.

AJMBLAZER

I don't know if they make a Group 31 Odyssey battery but the stock batteries are Group 31's. You want top posts and something in the 900's CCA range. Mine are over 1000 CA and 925 CCA I think.

The Army has a kit for putting small solar panels on the HMMWV's, you might check eBay and see if any of the kits are on there. They might work with the CUCV's or even have been intended for them also.

I'd like to know about getting rid of the black out light system as well as I don't use mine and it's just a PITA when the wife mistakes the switches for the light switch...again...

m4A1

My black out lights are disconnected by unplugging the switch and jumping the four connectors for the regular lights. I will try and get some pics today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks