• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A little help...with a new purchase of a 5 ton.

pcblakeley

I need your help in getting some information on a truck that I looked at today. I am very new to the MV market and I don't want my first purchase to be a bad one because I didn't know what I was getting into.

So, here goes. I took a test ride in the truck today and I am definetely interested in buying it. I don't know what model or year of the truck. I know it has the whistler engine and it is the multifuel also.

Can you help me decide on whether or not to purchase this 5 ton?

I would primarily use the truck for short drives with the eventual addition of 1600X20 wheels and Hemtt wheels. I will be using this truck at a few off road parks and trails.

What do you guys think for around $3,000?

Attachments

pcblakeley

The Title is in the works and it does run, seems to run very well. It started right up from being cold and smoked only a very little at start up. The truck seemed to shift fine. The oil pressure was at 30 for the whole trip and all the guages worked...

Thanks for the reply

USMC6062

Looks like a deal to me. I'd buy it for that, it looks like it's rust free from the pics. The only thing I see is it has the old complicated style power steering, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for sure. I don't know myself, but I wonder if the multifuel has enough power to run 6 16R20's.

emr

Looks like a good straight truck, ...worth it.... I would worry about running 1600s for sure they kill most trucks. and also the turning radius will be less, not my choice of tires for sure... 1400s are the most in my opinion, and would also be correct for that size truck. and still will drag on her.... but livable ....

Last edited:

USMC6062

It may have the wrong sending unit for the oil guage. Both of my deuces I bought straight from the government have 60# guages and 120# sending units. So everything the guage shows is half of what the real pressure is. Also don't trust the odometer and hour meter, they got swapped out all the time.

pcblakeley

WOW, what a response! I go away from the computer for 30 minutes!

What model is this truck? Is there any way to decode the dash plate?

pcblakeley

So, 1600's might be too much huh...I appreciate the insight. I knew that posting here wold inject some reality into my thought process!

1400's would be good too, I keep seeing these truck in you guys avatars and from browsing the forum.....I have so many ideas going through my head right now.

Now I have to start reading up on the tech pubs!

These trucks rock!

91W350

Three grand for a good running 5-ton winch truck that looks decent to boot, sounds great to me.... all I need is a phone number... :-D Like the others, I would want the title problems ironed out.

pcblakeley

Well, the truck seems to be a good deal. Thanks Steel Soldiers!

The list is growing all too fast now and I haven't even bought the truck.

Bigger tires

Modified seats for driver and passenger

"Nickname for the truck"

Ear plugs for wearing when driving....

Parking spot that won't get me in trouble

Read operators manuals

find out the history of the truck, where it has been and what it was involved in

decide on whether or not to bob it....or keep it original

get newer fuel filters (Spin on type)

research black fuel and get a line on a source.

gather fluids for its first service

figure out what special tools I will need to get

Start hoarding a large collection of common spare parts

Get a trail/deployment tool box and parts box started

ahhh, the joys of MV ownership.....wait, I don't own it yet

What is the average price for getting the truck media blasted and repainted a solid color?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks