• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a question about a trailer I won

rizzo

a trailer I won yesterday

went pretty cheap. not sure why. just because it needs a wheel seal?

1967 FONTAINE TRUCK EQUIPMENT CO, MDL: M172A1, LOW BED SEMI TRAILER, SN: 9189, 25 TON, 4-WHEEL, NO AIR LINES FOR BRAKES, WHEEL BEARING SEAL MISSING, BUYER LOAD.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is one of two things. Either someone got scared off because they were unsure of exactly what is wrong...OR...they inspected the trailer and there is more wrong with it than a seal. I would bet it is the former, though. Good luck!

Scrounger

If memory serves me, that is the M172 that is/was at Havre De Grace, MD. It has been there for about two years and had been sold around a year ago. The previous buyer failed to pick it up so it was re-listed. It was missing one of the bearing caps on one of the axles, no I don’t remember which. The deck was in reasonably good shape and it had two loading ramps. The M172 is a good trailer except it doesn’t have spring brakes if one loses air and most importantly it is 115 1/8” wide so it requires a permit just to take it on the road. The only other “problem” with the 172 is that it use 10:00 X 15 tires with 18 ply rating and that tire is getting hard to find.

rizzo

I have been watching them and they have been going around 3+k. I know about the width.

I will be bringing it back on a flatbed so it will be checked out and DOT'd before it hits the road. I might even get a yearly permit to drive it on the road. I wonder if they will permit me to haul my Insley H-1000 (53k with bucket) on it???

I will keep an eye out for some tires that size

thanks for the help guys

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A D8 is going to be over the 25 ton weight limit but they may have hauled them anyway.

As far as the Insley goes, have you checked to see what the loaded hight would be. Could be too tall (13'6" is max). Depending on how heavy you tractor is you may be over on axle weights also.

tmbrwolf

The brakes on those things were never very good, and in the military they were limited to 45 MPH on the road. I had an accident with one because of the brakes (it jacknifed) it wasn't pretty at all! Hydraulic brakes + heavy load + speed = Bad things!

art

I used the M172 in the Engineers for years to haul around D7's @24 tons.
The 34th (Construction) Engrs. in Ft, Riley got brand new D8's and were cracking the frames on the M172. They were ordered to stop using them. They then recived the nice cable drop decks trailers a couple of months later.
Many years later we (Combat Engrs.) got the drop deck trailers.
Oh yea, our tractor was the 10 ton - M123A1C.
The King pin flips around for the bigger 5th wheel on the ten ton.

Congrats on your trailer! Some day I would like to get mine back.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, Westfolk. By my calculations you're tipping the scales at right at 114,000# with that rig.

I've got a M870A1 I've been working on. I've shortend the neck so I can pull it with a civi truck but it's still functional ( you can't even tell I've shortend it unless you know it's supposed to be longer). I haven't used the folding neck yet because I don't have a winch. The biggest thing I've hauled on it is a D8H ( loaded off the back). You can load a dozer off the back with four tie blocks if you don't have ramps but it's kind of touchy.

I'm in the process of installing a 45,000# winch off a 5-ton wrecker on the back of my Kenworth W-900 so I can use the neck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
westfolk said:
m16ty said:
Wow, Westfolk. By my calculations you're tipping the scales at right at 114,000# with that rig.

Yes, I have been known for moving "a little" weight from time to time.
Most I've ever grossed with the same amount of axles as you have is 160,000# but I had alot more motor under the hood ( 500 Cummins)than you have with that 5-ton :D .