• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A question for MKT owners

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly the info I'm looking for.

Thanks so much.

And I carry two spares as it is. So I'll probably just pick up four more wheels and then put the same tires as are on my dually. The dually came with Firestone Transforce AT's, 235/85R/16 and they ride great. So I'll probably just pop for four more (two spares).

THAT should pull well and if I have a flat on either vehicle, I'll have plenty of spares just in case. I HATE not having spares.

And replacing the military axle with a new one is a GREAT idea.

Oldfart

JW, I was shopping for 7.50x16 trailer tires most of yesterday. My son had a blowout on our tandem dual goose neck on his way to hunting camp. The actual rated load in pounds does vary from brand to brand as well as size. The advantage of an axle swap to 8 hole wheels is that the tow vehicle spare can work on the trailer (if the wheel will fit over the hub.) Don't forget the difference between Ford and Chevy rims in 8 hole applications. The Dexter axles require the larger hub hole in the wheel. I am not sure what wheel the military used on their dually, but I would guess it is the heavier rim rated up to 110 psi. Most civi truck rims are good up to load range E, but not all are rated to the higher pressures beyond E rated. ~~ I think it is very possible to create the military look of the MKT85 behind your dually just by switching to a single axle that lowers the height and the tires and wheels match your truck. It does not seem that much different from all the M101 updates to 8 hole and smaller tires to match the Cucv's etc.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I've got an M101a2 that is that swap. WORKS great. Even has inertia braking on it.

That's the one I had at the airshow.

Tell JR that a 235/85R/16 will work GREAT on a 7.50 x 16 rim. I bought a pair of VERY used LT tires and they mounted right up to the 7.50 x 16 rim on my M101A1 trailer. The trailer will probably rust away before I wear the rubber off of it.

Pulling the MKT

Jim,
As you proably know now, the Duece is the way to go. MKT pulls behind the truck like a dream, even fully loaded you hardly feel it in back of you. Still have to be very careful, you don't want lose the kitchen! May have a riot on your hands when you get to where you are going. Talk to you soon.

John