• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a strange noise coming from an NHC250 water pump

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
with coolant level low there was no noise coming from the water pump but after filling cooling system all the way, the water pump is making a noise something between a squeal and a grind. noise seems to be at all rpms but as the engine rpm drops, the noise momentarily goes away then returns when rpm stabilizes. coolant appears to be circulating in the system fine. it is not the belts

any thoughts if this is a bad water pump or something else in the front gear drivetrain?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you can have an air pocket in the water pump. The impeller isn't pumping the coolant properly and it makes noise.

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you can have an air pocket in the water pump. The impeller isn't pumping the coolant properly and it makes noise.
that did occur to me as a possibility but thought after being run long enough the air would get pushed out of the pump and make its way to the overflow tank? this went on for 10minutes until I shut the engine down and decided to ask on here for advice

Crf450x

I would at least pull it out and look at it. Mine locked up going down the road and it didn’t even make noise. If you take it off you will likely need a new seal even if you don’t replace the pump.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shaft seal could be suspect allowing the shaft and impeller to be scrapping the block.

Pulling the pump might be in order. I have only seen metal impeller. The design is just plain stupid and lots of work.
I have the Copper crush seal and the plate gasket if you need.

Change belt anyway if you take it down
No sense in reusing it.

There is no grease fitting.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shaft seal could be suspect allowing the shaft and impeller to be scrapping the block.

Pulling the pump might be in order. I have only seen metal impeller. The design is just plain stupid and lots of work.
I have the Copper crush seal and the plate gasket if you need.

Change belt anyway if you take it down
No sense in reusing it.

There is no grease fitting.

Would you like to put some money on that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks