• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A very rare deuce

rice

GSA has a deuce for sale in Pa http://gsaauctions.gov
They have it listed as a 1953 AM General M35A2 :D
I'll bet AM General didn'y even know they made any in 1953.
Seriously, it doesn't look too bad if someone is close.

rice

I know, you'd think GSA would research things a little better before listing them. I guess they just want to get rid of them and they know someone will bid.

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looked at the listing, the data plate has AM General on it. It looks to be diesel, not a gasser which would be a '53 Reo or Stude. Did AM refurb some old gassers? It has the intake mushroom, which the gasser does not. Interesting...

spicergear

I think pretty much all the old Reo's that stayed in service had been updated. The '53 Reo I had was bought and sold out the M.E. and even had a vintage M.E. tag on the body. That was an M34.

Oh, and the other note...GSA is HORRIBLE with listings. Amusingly horrible sometimes.

kenny

SO true!!
I love when they screw up like that.
I bought a M1008 and they had it listed in San Antonio Texas as a 3/4 ton with 268,342 miles.
Before I bid on it I looked at it in person and it had all the paper work in the glove box from when it was new.It only had 26,834.2 miles on it and it was not a 3/4 Ton.
The park servive had got there hands on it 4 years ago and only put 44 miles on it because it was to hard to start.
All I did was put a glow plug relay and the batterys out of my boat and it fired right up and drove me home.
I love when they screw up because most people will not bid alot on a truck with 268,000 miles on it.

Attachments

rice

They are especially bad on years. They pretty much list it however the local forestry or surplus property manager descibes it. I bought a 1965 from m37 as a 1951 1 ton Dodge. I sent GSA a good closeup of the data plate showing M37 and delivery of 2-65 and they sent me an updated SF97. I had to request it a few times and I guess when they got tired of reading my emails, they sent it.

rice

They are especially bad on years. They pretty much list it however the local forestry or surplus property manager descibes it. I bought a 1965 from m37 as a 1951 1 ton Dodge. I sent GSA a good closeup of the data plate showing M37 and delivery of 2-65 and they sent me an updated SF97. I had to request it a few times and I guess when they got tired of reading my emails, they sent it.

FrankUSMC

My Reo is dated as a 1983. I have contacted GSA and they told me to return the SF97 and they would correct it.
But in all fairness to them. They have a guy go up to the vehicle and try to find the date it was made. This guy knows nothing about a M35. They took my date off the rebuild tag. I would do the same thing if you asked me to go in to a store and size ladies clothing.
The up side to this is (for those of us who have been buying military trucks for years) they are getting better. If any of you collect WWII trucks you will find on a lot of the titles the number that was stamped on the motor, not the data plate.
I got great survice from GSA when I called about returning the title (SF97). I can not speak for GL.
One of the few, Frank

rice

GSA actually doen't get the information. The manager at surplus property or forestry sends them the info and they list it for sale. Normally GSA never sees the vehicle. Surplus property usually has a better knowledge of the trucks (not always) because they got it to sell to another agency direct from the military. When its turned in to forestry the man may have 200 trucks to process for the sale and if he doesn't know, he'll make a wild guess. GSA has corrected some SF97's for me as well. If you can get them a good picture of the data plate info, they are pretty good about corrections. I've been to public auctions where the info was wrong and they've corrected it right then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks