• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A1 handheld engine code reader

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I bought an OTC 3418 HD reader. It can pull and clear engine codes. Only on A1 trucks, first gen trucks have mechanical engines. Does not seem to do much else though. I had hoped it could do some parameter display but no luck. Quick and convenient though.
1.jpg2.jpg

dronsen

This was one of my next things on my list. Exactly which connector does the MTV use for diagnostic port (6-pin, 9-pin Deutsch)? Is there any special attribute that a code reader has to have to work with MTV or do they all work with right connector?

Thanks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
9 pin. It will only work on an A1 truck though. I spoke with an A1 truck owner a few months ago who had ordered a overseas cheapie reader and it was not compatible with the truck. I know of a few mil shops that use hand readers. Theirs are a bit more advanced and I had looked into a fancier one but the price jumped considerably. I think I can pull up parameters on the MSD I just haven't gotten around to trying.

BuiltMFG

This was one of my next things on my list. Exactly which connector does the MTV use for diagnostic port (6-pin, 9-pin Deutsch)? Is there any special attribute that a code reader has to have to work with MTV or do they all work with right connector?

Thanks
I'm in need of one right now, looks like they come with a 6 and 9 pin adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oregonfirefighter

Do you know of any "electronic" gauge sets that would plug into that port? I have some for my pickups made by Edge. One can display all kinds of parameters from the engine.... Oil/ water temps. EGT and so forth. Yes, I have an A1

snowtrac nome

I have a pro link it will do test like cylinder drop and such I don't use it much any more as now I use cat e-t which will allow changes. to do any changing you will need et the hand held aftermarket readers do just that read codes, display data and some basic test. When replacing components that require installation of operating codes or data transfers you will once again need et from cat, or insite for cummins the nice thing about the 3126 is the operating system is pretty basic and most maintenance on it can be done with just a reader, things like injectors can be replaced with out reprograming new trim settings.

BuiltMFG

I bought an OTC 3418 HD reader. It can pull and clear engine codes. Only on A1 trucks, first gen trucks have mechanical engines. Does not seem to do much else though. I had hoped it could do some parameter display but no luck. Quick and convenient though.
View attachment 644189View attachment 644190
What's the order of operations for this. I have a protected switch next to the 9pin on my LMTV. Do the switch have anything to do with the reader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks