• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A1 vs A2 A-Arm & how to tell the difference?

karlsmith

Doing my research to replace the front end of my 86 (Maine Facility Refurbished in 07 w/6Kmiles) and the reading I have done about replacing the ball joints states that the A1 arms need to be drilled/modified to fit the new ball joints, since only A2 compatible are available. First off, is this a true in your experience, and if so how can I tell the difference? I'm unskilled at taking on that job and it might just be easier trying to source A2 A-Arms?

Action

It is referencing the size ov the 4 holes and bolts holding the ball jpint to the a-arm. Just use the correct size drill bit.
The newer upper arms have a reinforcing ring around the ball joint.

Augi

Flashoffroad is ancient and hasnt been updated in a long time. I'd take anything on there with a grain of salt. There is useful information for sure, but a lot of it reads like it was written by the doctors and lawyers who were able to afford a $100k plus Hummer new. Smart people but not always the best mechanical minds.

Also there was no surplus market to speak of at the time.

Augi

dilvoy

The later upper control arms were modified by having a ring of sorts that surrounded the ball joint. This was welded to the control arm at time of manufacture and AM General actually sold just the rings so they could be installed on early Hummers that did not have them. The four bolts of each upper control arm would hold the ball joint and this item to the control arm via the four bolts. Early control arms have an open "C" shape for the upper ball joint to sit in and later ones had a hole for it to be bolted into for extra support.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks