• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 low air pressure?

expeditioner

Hello everyone, long time listener first time caller.
I apologize if this has been asked before, I have thoroughly searched and haven't found an instance of this particular issue.
I have a '65 M35A2 that I cannot seem to get above 60-65psi air pressure.
Attempting to resurrect this truck for fire use, and the low air, among other issues, isn't enough to hold my sprayer valve diaphragms shut.
Someone previous to my ownership had added an auxiliary pressure regulator (that of an air compressor) on the left hand side of the firewall, presumably because of the added air-assist steering. It was continually bleeding off pressure at the 60-65psi mark, I attempted adjustment, no change. So I replaced that, and no change, however, no more bleeding air from that regulator.
Then, I attempted to adjust the Bendix pressure regulator, which was the D2 style I have seen mentioned here. No change either way. So, I replaced it with a new Bendix unit. According to the book it should be set at 110psi factory.
Still, only 60psi of air, then it bleeds off (per the gauge) to about 45psi with no discernable sound of leaking air, then builds again to the 60psi mark.
The truck holds air well at this point, it will hold its 60psi for at least two hours with the engine off.
I then attempted to adjust the new D2 regulator. Still, no change.
I Removed the plug on the top of the air compressor and checked the control valve in there. It moves freely and seems to be complete (plunger, o-ring and spring)
I have seen that the compressor relief valve may be my issue, however it does not seem to be bleeding air off, I put my finger over it with the engine running and it provides good vacuum.
I doubt my gauge is wrong, because it feels as though the air assist steering is basically non-functional. The brakes are decent, but I don't really have a frame of reference as this is the only Deuce I've driven.
Any other ideas fellas?
Thank you much for your insight!
Ian

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you're compressor is no longer compressing, or that control valve isn't as good as it appears to be .

Maybe the Rings are stuck, get a little bit of ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil down in there without hydraulicing it and see if you can get things to loosen up or if starts to make air with some oil down on the piston then you know that's where the problem is .

For the record I've never had one of those apart mine just works, but I am amazed at yours will hold pressure for 2 hours mine will hold pressure for about 2 minutes 😀

expeditioner

Thanks for the replies!
What am I looking for to determine if that control valve is working properly? Is there a way to bypass it to determine if that's my problem?
Pulled the head off the pump. Piston/cylinder look good. The check valve behind the allen-drive plug on the underside of the pump head moves, but has a very soft spring, thoughts?
The unloader has been silent this whole time, indicating that it's never received adequate pressure to make it actuate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks