• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AB-1386/U Quick Erect Antenna Mast on a HMMWV

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I'm looking for information about the AB-1386 Quick Erect Antenna Mast (QEAM), particularly about how to properly mount one on an M1037 HMMWV shelter carrier. The appropriate TMs are TM 11-5985-426-12&P (covering the mast itself) and TB 11-5985-426-20 (covering installation of the mast on various HMMWVs). I can't download those from LOGSA, unfortunately, as they're restricted for some silly reason.

I think that some kind of telescopic mast would make a nice addition to my HMMWV shelter carrier with its S250 shelter. The AB-1386 looks like a nice option, or a pneumatic mast might also be nice. Various kinds of military telescopic masts show up on eBay once in a great while, but they do seem to be pretty rare on the surplus market. I see a few QEAMs in eBay stores at the moment, in various stages of disrepair, but I don't know yet whether any of them includes suitable stuff for mounting on a HMMWV shelter carrier. If I ever do find a nice military telescopic mast for my shelter carrier, I'd mainly use it to support a wire antenna.

Here's a manufacturer's brochure for the AB-1386/U:

http://www.willburt.com/rsdDownload.asp?rstID=6&prdID=12

Any information about or sources for military telescopic antenna masts that might suit my application would be appreciated. Thanks!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
all the ones I have seen that are not functionally damaged in some way were very few between and fairly costly. If you do find a good one, best to get it when you can. There were also some telescoping masts used for lighting. These are not any taller, more like 20 FT, but are mugh larger diameter and could also do the job.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
QEAM's are on ebay from time to time from Beltfed34. Some work, some dont. Most just need some TLC to get back together. Going price is $300-400. which is nothing compared to what the manufacturer gets. I'll see if I can download you the TM's.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Yes, I have my eye on one of Beltfed34's ones (I also have my eye on one of his M66 gun rings... I think I either need to win the lottery or get a second job!). I don't know enough about them yet to know if the mounting hardware included is right for my application or how complete it is.

Other kinds of military telescopic masts would be just as interesting, but they all seem pretty rare. Once I saw an AB-1292/AG pneumatic mast on eBay, but I didn't pounce on it fast enough. I've seen a pneumatic mast mounted on the back of a CUCV at some of the Glendale, CA military vehicle swap meets, but I don't know who it belongs to. The 20ft lighting masts would probably be too short; I think something in the 30-40 ft range would be about right. A fairly lightweight one would be good enough to suspend a wire antenna.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks