• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About Panel repairs

319cssb

I had to remove a couple of panels on the mep806b to get access to things. Of course a bunch of the bolts sheered right off. How do y’all repair these ? They are threaded into the sheet metal and not those insert type of deals.
The bolts I replaced with stainless steel hardware.

Ray70

I'm not real familiar with the sheet metal on the 806B but when dealing with broken hardware where you can't access the back side to use a nut and bolt I have often times used knurled rivnut inserts with great success.
It actually works well anywhere you are able to drill a hole big enough to accept the ri nut.
You would have to check the exact size but for example a 10-32 rivnut might need a hole about 1/4" dia.
You would have to drill out the old broken screw and open the hole up to approximately 1/4" or whatever size is needed for the fastener you are using.
Then you install the nut just like a rivet only with a special adapter mandrel in a special rivet gun.
This is assuming you are talking about the threads being formed or extruded into the single thickness of sheet metal

The other options is to attempt to drill and tap the existing holes, but that will probably prove more difficult.

319cssb

They are not the cage nuts . But rather threaded into the sheed metal , I think I’ll either drill out and use Riv nuts or tap to next larger bolt size.
F36B76F6-E148-4E1D-87E6-01A0C4E52E99.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks