• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acceptable Engine blow by

pontiac62

Down the road would like to pick up another FMTV. Been searching thru the archives about acceptable blow by. Didn't find any or I didn't use the right phrases. Chances are will get the next truck from auction.

My question is it ok with some blow by visible or should those trucks be avoided. I'm sure all engines have some amount of blow by. With most the trucks I preview on line usually avoid the ones with visible blow by. Especially if it's really bad.

Thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1081 LVAD

snowtrac nome

the a-0 and a-1 models use a draft tube you are going to see some if you see a nice steady flow of white smoke and oil dripping from the draft tube when run up under load suspect a turbo. I have seen several cats loose the seal on the intake side of the turbo and dump compressed air into the crank case. other wise unless its been run out of oil the lower ends are usually good to around a 100 k

snowtrac nome

taken care of that's what my cat guy says I have a c-7 in the fleet with some where around 65 k hours on it if I remember right. its still running strong and just now showing signs of blow by this truck has lived a hard life because the drivers let it run at idle all the time. since it was new in 95 it runs an 8 hour day 5 days a week for an 8 hour day. its been through one set of injectors and a turbo. oops just looked at what I posted left out a 0 its a million k with a hundred k overhead adjustment