• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adapting Land Rover Discovery 1 steel wheel for M101 trailer?

vanwyk4257

I just purchased a 1967 M101 trailer sans bed this past weekend that I'm contemplating using behind my jeep as an expedition base camp. I know it's heavy, but I have to imagine that the trailer without the bed is around 700lbs or so. One thing I will need to rectify is replacment of the old dry-rotted NDT's on split rims. I don't want to retain the split rims just for ease of service if I ever had a flat somewhere.
My thought is to possibly use a pair of Land Rover Discovery 1 steel spare wheels modified to possibly fit the trailer. They are 16x7 wheels and have the appropriate 5x6.5" bolt pattern. I have verified that the center opening for the hub on the wheel is 4.5", so I would need to have at least .25" of material removed from the circumference of the hub area. I don't recall what size wheel studs the Land Rovers use, they are large, but probably not as large as the M101, so I am guessing I would need to drill out the lug holes on the Land Rover wheels to 5/8" as well.
Has anyone ever tried this and is it a fools errand or is there some merit to my thinking?

KsM715

It sounds like it might work. If it were me (this is just and idea, not saying you need to do this instead) I would just replace the axle with one that would allow you to use some standard wheels and tires or even find one to match the Jeep wheel pattern.

Edit: if you already have the Disco wheels take them to a machine shop and try it. pull the trailer around empty and see if there are any problems with it.

jimbob1111

I have some new tubeless wheels for M101 trailers

I have new one piece tubeless M101, M101A1 wheels for sale in the classified section. They will also fit the 5 lug Power Wagons & M37
They were made in 2007 by GKN in the USA. GKN makes wheels for DEERE, CASE, CAT, CLAAS & others.
I measured the lug holes on the new wheels, slightly less than 1.25" and there is a small taper at the top of the hole, so the wheels are LUG-CENTRIC.
The left side lugs are LEFT HAND THREAD. The machine shop will need to machine the lug holes in the Disco wheels to match the lug holes in the original wheels. If ya got the disco wheels & the machine shop can do it for a reasonable price, go for it.

Here's some pics

Attachments

jimbob1111

Sorry,
I forgot to add, before I'd scrap the original axle with parking brakes, price some new axles with "PARKING BRAKES"
I use several of these trailers as utility trailers, the parking brakes are handy.
HMFG

Chief_919

Wow, I never considered this before, but I have a 101 that needs new tires with 5 of these wheels sitting in the back.

KaiserM109

Several years ago I bought a "scrap” M101A1 that was missing the tongue, lunette and various wheel parts. I wanted it to use the same spare as the vehicle I would be towing it with, a ’69 Ford Bronco with 5 on 5 ½ lugs, so I cut the spindles off right behind the backing plate and welded on front spindles from another Bronco. Using front spindles gave me both inner and outer bearings. My intention is to put rear backing plates on it to give me parking breaks, but I traded away my brake levers for sideboards and a cover. I’ll work something out.

See: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...nversion-to-Civilian-Wheels&highlight=trailer

I have also acquired the surge brake assembly from an M101A2 and intend to put it on, which will also require a working brake cylinder on each wheel.

If you do drill out the holes on a Rover wheel, make sure you get the lug nut taper correct. You might consider having a machinist do it for you.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks