• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a turbo to 1984 M936

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a turbo on an NH250 (in an M818 - same engine)

Some things to consider -

The NH250 isnt designed for a turbo and lacks the oil squirters. Melting a piston is a concern.

The wrecker weighs almost 40k empty. This means it's going to be a slug no
matter what. The additional weight will make it that much easier to hit temperatures capable of melting a piston.

The Allison transmission wont like the additional torque. This'll be exacerbated by the wrecker's weight.

That said, the turbo makes a pronounced difference on being able to hold speed on hills. It also improves fuel efficiency. My nonturbo NH250 trucks get 5-6mpg. The one with the turbo gets 7-8mpg.

WildernessJeep

I have a turbo on an NH250 (in an M818 - same engine)

Some things to consider -

The NH250 isnt designed for a turbo and lacks the oil squirters. Melting a piston is a concern.

The wrecker weighs almost 40k empty. This means it's going to be a slug no
matter what. The additional weight will make it that much easier to hit temperatures capable of melting a piston.

The Allison transmission wont like the additional torque. This'll be exacerbated by the wrecker's weight.

That said, the turbo makes a pronounced difference on being able to hold speed on hills. It also improves fuel efficiency. My nonturbo NH250 trucks get 5-6mpg. The one with the turbo gets 7-8mpg.

I just don't see the benefits offsetting the costs. As you said, it's possible, but I'd need to upgrade a lot more than just a turbo. For money spent, I can upgrade other things. We don't have hills around here, and I won't tow anything too heavy very far with this truck, so I'll pass. Thanks for the input!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Turbo, exhaust manifold, you can wrap the intake around with piping to use the standard intake. Or I have a intercooler set
I just don't see the benefits offsetting the costs. As you said, it's possible, but I'd need to upgrade a lot more than just a turbo. For money spent, I can upgrade other things. We don't have hills around here, and I won't tow anything too heavy very far with this truck, so I'll pass. Thanks for the input!!
Ive got a cheap running Big Cam I 400hp cummins that swaps in. Need to refab the front mount crossmember thought. Bolts to the transmission the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks