• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a Turbo to a non with side exhaust

Dead pilot

So I've been thinking about add a turbo to my M36. Currently it doesnt have a turbo but I have all the stuff to add the turbo minus the exhaust. I currently have the side exhaust and was tying to see if I can keep the side exhaust instead of going to the stack. Is there a reason why all the trucks I've seen with turbos have the stack and not side exhaust?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe because you no longer need an exhaust pipe extension for fording. All the LDS-427 multifuel turbosupercharged deuces had rear exhaust, same as yours. Puts the “coal” right in the automobile driver’s window.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a general rule, a naturally aspirated diesel can handle some backpressure in the exhaust. It creates inefficiency. A diesel engine does not "need" exhaust resistance but engineering facts and old timers' lore often do not play nice together. Old time mechanics will tell you that a reasonable resistance in the exhaust flow avoids excessive EGT and burning up valves. I think that there is an enginnering reason that has to do with the hot exhaust gases being pushed into the exhaust, cooling and contracting and creating a vacuum and "shock wave" with every exhaust pulse that, over time, affects the exhaust valves. This seems to be more pronounced when the exhaust is not well matched to the engine. Maybe that is why people think that diesels need "back pressure"?

I suspect that - maybe - that thinking caused the LD multis to get the small diameter exhaust stack?

Adding a turbocharger also adds a bit of backpressure. If you further add a muffler or add an exhaust that runs several feet to the rear you will further increase the "back pressure"/exhaust resistance. Increasing it above the maximum that the engine is designed to handle can cause problems.
Well. Not sure how much extending the exhaust pipe on the mighty LDT really matters in that department. Others will chime in.

Last edited:

davidb56

just plumb the turbo exhaust to the existing side pipe and keep a eye on your exhaust temp (pyrometer). Often people add a muffler to their M35a2 exhaust stack with no undesirable effect, and it definitely adds back pressure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks