• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding A Turbocharger To A Not Turbocharger 6.5L

WhoMe08721

Hey Guys,

How hard would it be to add a turbocharger to my stock m998 not turbocharger 6.5L Motor. Is there any kits out there, I could buy or any good Threads or good instructions out there for this project. Also if there is no conversion kits out there what are some of the parts I am going to need to do this conversion.

Thanks

Skrilex

Banned
I was going to do this with a banks sidewinder kit but would have required cutting into the passenger footwell a bit. You can get a turbo kit from a turbo Chevy pickup, but you need everything and the heads too, and a body lift to clear it, and maybe a dog house cover too. I decided to scrap the idea and add a Cummins instead.

Wire Fox

I believe it's the van-style turbo that you need, so that it fits correctly in the engine bay. You'll also need a new intake assembly, as that's different. You'd want new injectors rated for the fuel rate, and your injection pump tuned/replaced with one also meant for the fuel rate. You'll need to add a body lift of I believe 1.5", plus enlarge the cut in the tunnel to make even more room for the turbo components, and replace your doghouse cover with one intended for the turbo. Last bit I can think of is a new exhaust, as that is also spec'd differently for the turbo application. You might need a different torque converter for your transmission... If you use a 4L80E, you should be using a EPROM chip in your TCM that's appropriate for a turbo-charged application.

I've never done the job, just have seen a lot of posts about it. Honestly, unless you stumbled upon all these parts for dirt cheap, you'll probably find that you'd be better off to buy a take-out engine, install it, and then sell your old engine as a take-out to the next guy to re-coup most of your cash. You'll probably find that the different in engine price that you ultimately pay will be far less than the headache you get trying to find everything.

tage

how's your metal fab / welding skills? can you pie cut?
sure you can get a junk yard turbo build. run a bunch of boost until the engine melts itself together.

with any forced induction. it's not as simple as just slapping on a turbo to your existing engine.

tage

I was going to do this with a banks sidewinder kit but would have required cutting into the passenger footwell a bit. You can get a turbo kit from a turbo Chevy pickup, but you need everything and the heads too, and a body lift to clear it, and maybe a dog house cover too. I decided to scrap the idea and add a Cummins instead.
pics?

WhoMe08721

So I really want to do the Banks Power Sidewinder Turbo That they are working on. So after contacting them last week again, A sales rep and 2 technician finally got back to me and said the following thing "We have not released this system for retails sales at this time. We are working on this and are hoping to have options available in early 2019".Maybe by that time I will have my deuce and half air locker project done and can start this big project in my shop:D

Turbo System.jpg

tage

So I really want to do the Banks Power Sidewinder Turbo That they are working on. So after contacting them last week again, A sales rep and 2 technician finally got back to me and said the following thing "We have not released this system for retails sales at this time. We are working on this and are hoping to have options available in early 2019".Maybe by that time I will have my deuce and half air locker project done and can start this big project in my shop:D

View attachment 740694
That's interesting 113 hp to 178hp. Exhaust brake. They don't post torque or boost numbers.

WhoMe08721

Stock:113 hp @ 3200 RPM / 219 lb-ft @ 2600 RPM Vs Banks Sidewinder System: 178 hp @ 3400 RPM / 329 lb-ft @ 2400 RPM

http://assets.bankspower.com.s3.amazonaws.com/mag_article_files/84/Banks HMMWV Sidewinder.pdf

[FONT=Vectora LT Std Roman,Vectora LT Std Roman][FONT=Vectora LT Std Roman,Vectora LT Std Roman][FONT=Vectora LT Std Roman,Vectora LT Std Roman][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Vectora LT Std Roman,Vectora LT Std Roman][FONT=Vectora LT Std Roman,Vectora LT Std Roman][FONT=Vectora LT Std Roman,Vectora LT Std Roman][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

tage

1200 egt's no wonder the size of that intercooler. Small turbocharger too.

At that point I wonder if it's best to meth injection. That's a lot of money and a project just to melt your engine imho. Also those are 4 speed trucks they tested. I don't see how adding a turbo can change the gearing to get a faster top speed. Maybe the time it takes to get to it?

edit. I see they added a Allison 1000 trans to mix instead of the stock 4l80e. the 6.2 non hmmwv application run 3k. I wonder how much this kit will be priced at? I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the 5 grand range with all the goodies they include.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 740694
You might notice this kit is on and for a turbo motor and not an NA....

JoeJrTheBarber

Find a decent hot rod shop and they can throw together a simple turbo kit for ya quite easily.
I am prob going to do a re-mounted turbo setup on my truck over the winter which will save me allot of "needed"
parts and so on. Do some google searching for "rear mounted turbo" setups and you will see what I mean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks